About This Chapter
6th-8th Grade Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions - Chapter Summary
Use the video lessons in this chapter to demonstrate how proportions, rates, and ratios can help your middle school students solve equations related to distance and unit measurements. Easy and interactive videos provide step-by-step instructions about one-step ratio problems, graphing, and proportional relationships. In addition, these lessons can teach students how to write and solve their own example equations. You will also have access to short, multiple-choice quizzes that can help you measure your middle school students' level of comprehension for these types of mathematical problems, and using the chapter exams can also help you determine how much information your students are absorbing.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples||Identify how to calculate both rates and ratios.|
|How to Find the Unit Rate||Explore techniques to determine unit rates.|
|How to Solve a One-Step Problem Involving Ratios||Provide a description of a ratio and show methods for solving one-step ratio problems.|
|How to Solve a One-Step Problem Involving Rates||Describe a rate and investigate techniques for calculating the answers to one-step rate problems.|
|How to Solve Problems with Money||Determine and show how to find the total cost by taking the number of units and multiplying it by the cost per each unit.|
|Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples||Explain what a proportion is and identify ways to solve problems with proportions.|
|Calculations with Ratios and Proportions||Go over formulas and include techniques for solving problems with both ratios and proportions.|
|How to Solve Problems with Time||Examine methods for calculating the concept of time.|
|Distance Formulas: Calculations & Examples||Identify techniques for determining distance, and discuss methods for figuring out distance in relation to fuel consumption.|
|How to Find an Unknown in a Proportion||Point out the steps for solving proportions with unknown variables.|
|Calculating Unit Rates Associated with Ratios of Fractions||Discuss the unit rates of area, length, and other measurements, and then show how those rates are described through ratios of fractions.|
|Proportional Relationships Between Two Quantities||Define the proportional relationship between quantities, and then figure out if two quantities are in a proportional relationship by graphing on a coordinate plane or by equivalent ratio testing.|
|Identifying the Constant of Proportionality||In regards to proportional relationships, calculate the constant of proportionality in equations, tables, diagrams, verbal descriptions, and graphs.|
|Representing Proportional Relationships by Equations||Show the steps for solving proportions and for writing proportional relationship equations.|
|Graphing Proportional Relationships||Discuss the connection between the X and Y axes on graphs to proportional relationships, and then address the following: (0, 0) and (1, r), where r is the unit rate.|
|Proportional Relationships in Multistep Ratio & Percent Problems||Analyze multistep percent and ratio problems, and then use proportional relationships to solve these equations.|
|Constructing Proportions to Solve Real World Problems||Investigate techniques for solving application problems through the use of constructed proportions.|
1. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
2. How to Find the Unit Rate
If we are going to use math to predict outcomes, one of the most useful measures we can establish is the unit rate of change. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the rate of change and apply the formula to real-life examples.
3. How to Solve a One-Step Problem Involving Ratios
Ratios show the relationship between different things. They can be very useful in math and everyday life. Learn how you can quickly and easily solve one-step ratio problems.
4. How to Solve a One-Step Problem Involving Rates
One of the most useful aspects of math is the ability to take a rate and use it to solve questions of time or quantity. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use rates, time, and quantity to solve for each other.
5. How to Solve Problems with Money
Money matters, and knowing how much things cost will be useful no matter where you go. In this lesson, we'll learn the steps for solving word problems involving money.
6. Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
When we want to compare one ratio, or fraction, to another equivalent ratio, it's a proportion. Learn all about proportions and practice solving proportion problems in this lesson.
7. Calculations with Ratios and Proportions
Even if only 99 out of 100 people need to know how to work with ratios, the odds that they'll be useful to you are very high. In this lesson, we'll practice performing calculations with ratios and proportions.
8. How to Solve Problems with Time
It's amazing how much time can be saved when people work together. In this lesson, we'll practice figuring out just how much time we're talking about as we solve problems involving time.
9. Distance Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Let's go on a road trip! In this lesson, we'll practice calculations involving distance, rate and time. We'll also look at how we determine the relationship between distance and fuel.
10. How to Find an Unknown in a Proportion
Artists, engineers, athletes, and accountants all use proportions in their daily lives, and setting them up is really quite easy, once you know the rules. In this lesson, you'll learn how to solve proportions when there is an unknown value and work on some practice problems.
11. Calculating Unit Rates Associated with Ratios of Fractions
This lesson demonstrates a few different ways to calculate unit rates. We use them to solve problem such as how many beats per minute, or how many miles per hour. To master this lesson, you must understand how ratios and fractions will help to find the unit rate based off of a higher ratio of values.
12. Proportional Relationships Between Two Quantities
When two values always maintain the same ratio, forming the same fraction when you divide them, they have a proportional relationship. In this lesson, you can learn about proportional relationships between two quantities.
13. Identifying the Constant of Proportionality
Constants of proportionality might sound like something complicated, but chances are, you've encountered them before. In this lesson, we'll explore the constant of proportionality and how to find it.
14. Representing Proportional Relationships by Equations
After you read this lesson, you'll see just how easy it is to find an equation that represents your proportional relationship. You'll learn the formula you can use to find your equation for any proportion you have.
15. Graphing Proportional Relationships
Two values are proportional if they maintain the same ratio and their graph will always be a straight line that goes through the origin (0,0). In this lesson we'll explore how to draw proportional graphs and use them to solve desperate situations!
16. Proportional Relationships in Multistep Ratio & Percent Problems
This lesson introduces the concepts of ratios, rates, and proportions. It will show you how to use rates and ratios to develop proportional relationships. Using proportions to solve problems is very common in mathematics, because oftentimes many rates and ratios are constant.
17. Constructing Proportions to Solve Real World Problems
In this lesson, we will concentrate on proportions. Through definition and example, we will learn how to construct proportions and how to use proportions to solve real world problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 6th-8th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Divisibility
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Properties of Numbers
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Number Theory
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Factoring
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Estimating & Rounding
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Whole Numbers
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Negative Numbers
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Absolute Value
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Integers
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Rational Numbers
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Inequalities
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Introduction to Decimals
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Introduction to Fractions
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Percents
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Algebraic Distribution
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Writing & Solving One-Step Equations
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Writing & Solving Two-Step Equations
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- 6th-8th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Linear Equations
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Systems of Linear Equations
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Properties of Functions
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Graphing Functions
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 6th-8th Grade Measurement: Perimeter & Area
- 6th-8th Grade Geometry: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 6th-8th Grade Geometry: Angles
- 6th-8th Grade Measurement: Units of Measurement
- 6th-8th Grade Geometry: Triangles
- 6th-8th Grade Geometry: Quadrilaterals
- 6th-8th Grade Geometry: Circles
- 6th-8th Grade Geometry: Circular Arcs & Measurement
- 6th-8th Grade Geometry: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- 6th-8th Grade Geometry: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 6th-8th Grade Geometry: Transformations
- 6th-8th Grade Geometry: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- 6th-8th Grade Geometry: Similar Polygons
- 6th-8th Grade Geometry: The Pythagorean Theorem
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Probability
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Statistics
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Money
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Consumer Math
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Number Sequences
- 6th-8th Grade Math: Sets
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Monomials & Polynomials