About This Chapter
Speech Delivery & Evaluation - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this chapter have been designed to make learning about speech delivery and evaluation fun for 6th graders. Our instructors take students through speech style and discuss the role of visual aids in public speaking. Your middle schoolers also examine ways to evaluate the speeches of others as well as their own. Each video comes with a transcript, and the multiple-choice quizzes offer insight into students' grasp of the material.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|The Style of a Speech: Speaker, Audience & Purpose||Understand how speaker, audience and purpose should influence the style of a speech.|
|Why Delivery Matters in Public Speaking||Explain the role and significance of delivery in public speaking.|
|Visual Aids in Public Speaking: Importance, Purpose, and Audience Considerations||State the importance of visual aids and what to consider when developing them.|
|Types of Visual Aids Used in Public Speaking||Compare and contrast different types of visual aids.|
|Preparing Visual Aids for a Speech: Guidelines & Tips||Learn how to prepare visual aids.|
|Using Visual Aids During Your Speech: Guidelines & Tips||Utilize visual aids effectively and appropriately.|
|Q&A Preparation: Answering the Audience's Questions After a Speech||Prepare for responding to audience questions.|
|Evaluating Yourself as a Speaker: Goals & Methods||Learn how to honestly evaluate your own skills in public speaking.|
|Evaluating Other Public Speakers: Criteria & Guidelines||Learn some criteria to use to evaluate other speakers in order to improve your own public speaking skills.|
1. The Style of a Speech: Speaker, Audience & Purpose
When writing a speech, a writer should consider the speaker, audience and purpose of the speech. Each factor influences the overall style of the speech.
2. Visual Aids in Public Speaking: Importance, Purpose, and Audience Considerations
Giving a speech can be nerve-wracking, and it might seem easy to just skip the visual aids. In this lesson, we'll discuss why that's a bad idea, why visual aids are important, and what elements make a great visual aid.
3. Types of Visual Aids Used in Public Speaking
Many people understand that visual aids can be helpful in public speaking. But what types of visual aids should a person choose? Watch this lesson for information on the types of visual aids and how to choose the best one.
4. Preparing Visual Aids for a Speech: Guidelines & Tips
Visual aids can help make your speech engaging and memorable. But, how do you prepare your visual aids for maximum impact? Watch this lesson to find out how to design and structure effective visual aids for your presentation.
5. Using Visual Aids During Your Speech: Guidelines & Tips
Visual aids can help your speech or presentation be even more successful. There are some important considerations when planning to use visuals. Watch this lesson to find out what to do before and during your speech to make your visuals effective.
6. Q&A Preparation: Answering the Audience's Questions After a Speech
When the audience asks a question, the speaker must be sure that he/she can properly respond with an answer that is correct and that satisfies the inquisitor. There are a few ways the speaker can formulate an answer and deliver it with confidence.
7. Evaluating Yourself as a Speaker: Goals & Methods
The last word of a speech does not completely end it for the speaker. A speaker must take time to evaluate a speech to determine whether the expected goals were accomplished. This lesson will explore several methods to evaluate yourself as a speaker.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 6th Grade Language Arts: Lessons & Help course
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Punctuation & Grammar
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Parts of Speech
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Clauses & Phrases
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Verbs, Tenses & Agreement
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Sentence Types & Components
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Word Knowledge
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Figurative Language
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Poetry Types, Devices & Elements
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Understanding Literature
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Drama
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Informational Texts
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Using Source Materials
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Writing
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Argumentative Writing
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Public Speaking
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Speech Development
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Listening
- 6th Grade Language Arts: Collaborative Discussion