About This Chapter
6th Grade Reading Strategies - Chapter Summary
This short 6th grade language arts chapter offers an easy way to learn helpful reading strategies. Taught by expert English instructors, this chapter shows you how to recognize multisyllabic words, use context clues and better understand what you read. The chapter comes with short multiple-choice quizzes to help you practice using these reading strategies. You can study at any time of day or night, and our instructors are available to answer your questions if you have any. When you're finished working through the chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand multisyllabic words
- Read with purpose and understanding
- Use context to recognize and understand words
1. Reading Multisyllabic Words: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, we'll go over some spelling patterns to help you break down and read long, multisyllabic words. Let's find out how to break down some multisyllabic words using some real-life examples.
2. Strategies for Reading with Purpose & Understanding: Lesson for Kids
Reading can be frustrating when you don't understand what an author is trying to say. Thankfully, there is a five-step process that will help you comprehend a text and read with purpose. Learn what the process is and how you can apply it to everything you read.
3. Using Context for Word Recognition & Understanding: Lesson for Kids
When you read new material, you might find words you don't recognize. You won't always want to use a dictionary. Did you know you can also use context to help you learn the meaning of a new word? Read this lesson to find out more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 6th Grade Language Arts course
- English Spelling Rules & Conventions
- 6th Grade Vocabulary Skills & Word Usage
- Parts of Speech Usage
- Pronoun Usage & Agreement Basics
- Interjections, Conjunctions & Prepositions
- Punctuation & Sentence Structure
- The Writing Process & Types of Writings
- Speaking, Listening & Study Skills
- 6th Grade Reading Comprehension
- Characteristics of Literature
- Characteristics of Literary Elements
- Characteristics of Literary Devices
- 6th Grade Reading Practice: Matilda
- 6th Grade Reading Practice: James & the Giant Peach