About This Chapter
7th Grade Language Arts: Verbs, Tenses & Agreement - Chapter Summary
To help reinforce what they've learned in language arts class, the lessons in this chapter can help clarify any confusion 7th graders may have about verbs and their correct usage. Each lesson contains a wealth of information presented in short, fun videos. Your 7th grader can improve his or her knowledge of the types of verbs, subject-verb agreement and verb tenses. The instructors for this chapter also cover ways to pick out errors in verb usage. After each lesson, students can take quizzes as well as a chapter exam to see how well they're grasping this grammar material.
Chapter Lessons & Objectives
|Action, Linking and Auxiliary Verbs: Definitions, Functions & Examples||Students learn the different functions of action, linking and auxiliary verbs.|
|Verb Tense & Subject-Verb Agreement||This lesson covers present and past verb tense as well as the importance of subject-verb agreement.|
|Subject-Verb Agreement: Using Uncommon Singular and Plural Nouns and Pronouns||The instructor teaches students how to avoid subject-verb agreement errors involving uncommon nouns and pronouns.|
|What is the Progressive Verb Tense - Examples, Lesson & Quiz||Students learn how the progressive verb tense is formed and how to properly use it in a sentence.|
|How to Write with Idioms or Phrasal Verbs||In this lesson, students discover what idioms and phrasal verbs are so they can incorporate them into their writing effectively.|
|What is a Transitive Verb? - Definition & Examples||Students learn how to recognize transitive verbs as well as distinguish between transitive and intransitive verbs.|
|Identifying Errors of Verb Tense||The instructor discusses common verb tense errors and how students can spot them in their writing.|
|Identifying Subject-Verb Agreement Errors||Students examine typical errors in subject-verb agreement and how to fix them.|
|Identifying Errors with Indefinite Pronoun-Verb Agreement||With this lesson, students learn to spot and correct indefinite pronoun-verb agreement errors.|
|Using the Correct Verb with Compound Subjects||The instructor teaches students how to pair compound subjects with the correct verb in sentences.|
|Active and Passive Voice||Students learn to tell the difference between active and passive voice in writing.|
1. Action, Linking and Auxiliary Verbs: Definitions, Functions & Examples
Do you think that a verb is just a verb? Check out this lesson to learn about the differences among action verbs, linking verbs, and auxiliary/helping verbs.
2. Verb Tense & Subject-Verb Agreement
Learn all about verb tense and subject-verb agreement in our first lesson on this tricky topic. We'll look at examples to help you understand this concept.
3. Subject-Verb Agreement: Using Uncommon Singular and Plural Nouns and Pronouns
Subject-verb agreement is a tricky beast. Learn which uncommon singular and plural nouns and pronouns are most likely to trip you up when trying to craft essays with good grammar.
4. What is the Progressive Verb Tense? - Definition & Examples
You've probably heard of past, present and future tense, but do you know there's a progressive tense? This lesson outlines the progressive tense and its use in our language.
5. How to Write with Idioms or Phrasal Verbs
In this lesson, you will learn how to identify idioms and phrasal verbs. Once you can recognize these parts of speech, you will be able to use them yourself in your writing.
6. What is a Transitive Verb? - Definition & Examples
This lesson covers transitive verbs. Learn how to define and identify these kinds of verbs with the aid of examples, and discover the difference between transitive and intransitive verbs. Then take a quiz to test your understanding.
7. Identifying Errors of Verb Tense
In order to identify verb tense errors, you'll need to learn about the six verb tenses and how they differ. Once you know how to look for them, problematic shifts in verb tenses can be spotted and avoided easily.
8. Identifying Subject-Verb Agreement Errors
It's important that the subject and verb in every sentence agree in number. While it's often easy to make this happen, there are a few situations in which it can be tricky to achieve subject-verb agreement. This lesson explains how you can be sure to pair the right verb with a subject.
9. Identifying Errors with Indefinite Pronoun-Verb Agreement
Pronouns can be a confusing and even tricky part of speech to use. This lesson delves into the indefinite pronoun and how to ensure correct verb agreement. A short quiz will follow.
10. Using the Correct Verb with Compound Subjects
Subject-verb agreement is essential in written and spoken communication. But what do you do with if there's more than one subject? Read this lesson to learn the rules for compound subjects.
11. Active and Passive Voice
You may have heard your teachers toss around the terms 'passive voice' and 'active voice'. But if you've never really understood what it means to write actively or passively, stick with us -- and learn how to turn to awkward passive sentences into bright, active ones.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 7th Grade Language Arts: Lessons & Help course
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Punctuation & Grammar
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Parts of Speech
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Clauses & Phrases
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Sentence Types & Components
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Word Knowledge
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Figurative Language
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Poetry Types, Devices & Elements
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Understanding Literature
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Drama
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Informational Texts
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Using Source Materials
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Writing
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Argumentative Writing
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Listening
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Public Speaking
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Speech Development
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Speech Delivery & Evaluation
- 7th Grade Language Arts: Collaborative Discussion