About This Chapter
8th Grade Math: Similar Polygons in Geometry - Chapter Summary
Take full advantage of the video lessons in this chapter in order to reinforce concepts that have been introduced in the classroom. The short, engaging videos examine geometry concepts like geometric mean, similar triangles and the AA criterion and the triangle proportionality theorem in a way your 8th graders will remember. Parents and teachers can verify students' progress by using multiple-choice quizzes and a chapter exam at the end of the lesson.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples||In this lesson students learn about ratios and proportions.|
|Geometric Mean: Definition and Formula||Instructors describe the geometric mean theorem.|
|Solving Problems Involving Proportions: Definition and Examples||Students learn what proportional segments are and how to solve proportions.|
|Similar Polygons: Definition and Examples||Students examine similar polygons and the AAA postulate.|
|Similar Triangles and the AA Criterion||Chapter demonstrates how to use the properties of similarity transformations to determine the AA criterion for two triangles to be similar.|
|The Transitive Property of Similar Triangles||Students build on previous lesson and learn the transitive property of similar triangles.|
|Triangle Proportionality Theorem||Instructors show how to divide a triangle proportionally as well how to construct a segment proportional to three given line segments.|
|Constructing Similar Polygons||Students learn to construct a polygon similar to a given polygon in this lesson.|
|Properties of Right Triangles: Theorems and Proofs||Students practice using theorems related to the altitude and median of right triangles.|
1. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
2. Geometric Mean: Definition and Formula
Watch this video lesson to learn how different the geometric mean is from the arithmetic mean, or average, that we are all so familiar with. Learn in what circumstance the geometric mean is preferred. Also, learn the formula and how to use it.
3. Solving Problems Involving Proportions: Definition and Examples
Learn how you can use proportions to find missing sides and how to increase or decrease the sizes of objects to create models of them in this video lesson.
4. Similar Polygons: Definition and Examples
Watch this video to learn what makes two polygons similar to each other. You'll also learn the one distinguishing aspect of similar polygons and see an example of how to compare two polygons.
5. The Transitive Property of Similar Triangles
Watch this video lesson and you will understand what the transitive property is and how it applies to similar triangles. Watch as we apply the transitive property to three similar triangles.
6. Triangle Proportionality Theorem
Watch this video lesson to learn all about the triangle proportionality theorem and how you can use this interesting theorem to help you solve problems. Learn how a parallel line can create sides that are proportional to each other.
7. Constructing Similar Polygons
This lesson will teach you how to construct similar polygons, which are very useful in many quantitative fields. You'll learn that all of this has something to do with, of all things, snowflakes!
8. Properties of Right Triangles: Theorems & Proofs
In this lesson, you will learn about the properties of and theorems associated with right triangles, which have a wide range of applications in math and science. Specifically, we will discuss and prove the Pythagorean theorem and the right triangle altitude theorem. Let's get started.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 8th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 8th Grade Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- 8th Grade Math: Divisibility
- 8th Grade Math: Number Properties
- 8th Grade Math: Number Theory
- 8th Grade Math: Factoring
- 8th Grade Math: Estimation and Rounding
- 8th Grade Math: Whole Numbers
- 8th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 8th Grade Math: Negative Numbers
- 8th Grade Math: Absolute Value
- 8th Grade Math: Integers
- 8th Grade Math: Rational Numbers
- 8th Grade Math: Inequalities
- 8th Grade Math: Introduction to Decimals
- 8th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 8th Grade Math: Introduction to Fractions
- 8th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 8th Grade Math: Percents
- 8th Grade Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- 8th Grade Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- 8th Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 8th Grade Math: Algebraic Distribution
- 8th Grade Math: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- 8th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 8th Grade Math: Linear Equations
- 8th Grade Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- 8th Grade Math: Properties of Functions
- 8th Grade Math: Graphing Functions
- 8th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 8th Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 8th Grade Math: Triangles in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Quadrilaterals in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Circles in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Polyhedrons and Geometric Solids
- 8th Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Triangle Theorems and Proofs in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: The Pythagorean Theorem in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 8th Grade Math: Measuring Perimeter & Area
- 8th Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 8th Grade Math: Probability
- 8th Grade Math: Statistics
- 8th Grade Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions
- 8th Grade Math: Consumer Math
- 8th Grade Math: Number Sequences
- 8th Grade Math: Sets & Subsets
- 8th Grade Math: Algebraic Monomials & Polynomials