About This Chapter
8th Grade Language Arts: Clauses and Phrases - Chapter Summary
This chapter prepares 8th graders to define, identify and use various clauses and phrases important to the writing process. These lessons help parents and teachers break down potentially complicated materials for easier comprehension. Quizzes are available to test knowledge of the material, along with the ability to skip around to different topics through video tags.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|What is a Clause?||Students get a basic definition of clauses and their uses.|
|Types of Clauses: Noun, Adverbial, & Relative Clauses||Students learn about the kinds of dependent clauses.|
|Independent & Dependent Clauses: Subordination & Coordination||Explore the meaning and uses of independent and dependent clauses in sentence writing.|
|Restrictive Clause: Examples, Lesson & Quiz||In this lesson, students will understand what restrictive clauses are and how they're utilized.|
|Types of Phrases: Gerund, Participial, Prepositional & More||Instructors demonstrate the different kinds of phrases and provide examples.|
|Appositives & Appositive Phrases: Definition & Examples||Students gain an understanding of appositives and appositive phrases and how they're identified.|
1. What is a Clause?
In this lesson, we will define what a clause is. We will then look at the different types of clauses, define each of the types, provide some examples of each, and then discuss why they are important in our writing.
2. Types of Clauses: Noun, Adverbial, & Relative Clauses
In this lesson, we will define clause. We will then review independent and dependent clauses. Finally, we will focus on the different types of dependent clauses - including relative, noun and adverbial - discuss how to recognize them and then discuss how to use the clauses in our writing.
3. Independent & Dependent Clauses: Subordination & Coordination
This lesson is about independent and dependent clauses, and how they make up a sentence. Dependent clauses, like the name suggests, rely on other elements in a sentence. Independent clauses, on the other hand, can stand alone. Learn more in this lesson.
4. Restrictive Clause: Examples & Overview
In this lesson, we will define and explore the functions of the restrictive clause. Restrictive clauses provide specific and necessary information in a sentence and clarify essential details that help improve sentence meaning.
5. What is a Phrase?
In this lesson, we will define a phrase. We will then discuss the different kinds of phrases, look at examples of each, and then discuss how to use them correctly in writing.
6. Types of Phrases: Gerund, Participial, Prepositional & More
The writing of a sentence begins with a phrase. In this lesson, we will discuss the definition of a phrase, the different types of phrases, and how knowing what a phrase is will improve your writing.
7. Appositives & Appositive Phrases: Definition & Examples
Our language is made up many units of meaning to allow for clear communication. This lesson focuses on understanding and using one of those units: the appositive.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 8th Grade Language Arts: Lessons & Help course
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Punctuation & Grammar
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Parts of Speech
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Verbs, Tenses & Agreement
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Sentence Types & Components
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Word Knowledge
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Figurative Language
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Poetry Types, Devices & Elements
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Understanding Literature
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Drama
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Informational Texts
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Using Source Materials
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Writing
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Argumentative Writing
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Listening
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Public Speaking
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Speech Development
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Speech Delivery & Evaluation
- 8th Grade Language Arts: Collaborative Discussion