About This Chapter
Inequalities - Chapter Summary
Do you want your 8th graders to enjoy learning about inequalities? Use the video lessons in this chapter to help your students increase their understanding of inequalities while learning methods for solving and graphing inequalities. Students can take the chapter exam once they finish the last lesson.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|What is an Inequality?||In this lesson, students learn the definition of an inequality.|
|How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities||Instructors describe ways to graph 1- and 2-variable inequalities.|
|Set Notation, Compound Inequalities, and Systems of Inequalities||Students learn about set notation, compound inequalities, and systems of inequalities.|
|Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems||Students have the chance to practice graphing inequalities.|
|How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality||This lesson covers the processes of solving and graphing absolute value inequalities.|
|Solving and Graphing Absolute Value Inequalities: Practice Problems||Students practice what they learned in the previous lesson using graphs.|
|Translating Math Sentences to Inequalities||Instructors show methods for translating number sentences to inequalities.|
|Solving One-step Linear Inequalities||Students learn to solve one-step linear inequalities.|
|Solving Two-step Linear Inequalities||This lesson focuses on how students can solve two-step linear inequalities.|
1. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
2. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
So an inequality is just an equation with a less than or greater than symbol. But what is the difference between 1 and 2 variable inequalities? What does have a greater than or equal to symbol change? When do you use a number line instead of a coordinate plane? Get those answers here!
3. Set Notation, Compound Inequalities, and Systems of Inequalities
In this lesson, we'll explore the conditions of compound inequalities and learn how to express them using set notation and interval notation. Test you knowledge afterward with a short quiz.
4. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
5. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
6. Solving and Graphing Absolute Value Inequalities: Practice Problems
Solving and graphing absolute value inequalities brings a lot of different skills together in one place. The practice problems in this video will give you a good chance to see more examples of absolute value inequalities but will also test your general algebraic knowledge.
7. Translating Math Sentences to Inequalities
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can easily translate math sentences into inequalities. Once you know how to do this, solving word problems becomes that much easier.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 8th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 8th Grade Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- 8th Grade Math: Divisibility
- 8th Grade Math: Number Properties
- 8th Grade Math: Number Theory
- 8th Grade Math: Factoring
- 8th Grade Math: Estimation and Rounding
- 8th Grade Math: Whole Numbers
- 8th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 8th Grade Math: Negative Numbers
- 8th Grade Math: Absolute Value
- 8th Grade Math: Integers
- 8th Grade Math: Rational Numbers
- 8th Grade Math: Introduction to Decimals
- 8th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 8th Grade Math: Introduction to Fractions
- 8th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 8th Grade Math: Percents
- 8th Grade Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- 8th Grade Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- 8th Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 8th Grade Math: Algebraic Distribution
- 8th Grade Math: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- 8th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 8th Grade Math: Linear Equations
- 8th Grade Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- 8th Grade Math: Properties of Functions
- 8th Grade Math: Graphing Functions
- 8th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 8th Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 8th Grade Math: Triangles in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Quadrilaterals in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Circles in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Polyhedrons and Geometric Solids
- 8th Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Triangle Theorems and Proofs in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Similar Polygons in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: The Pythagorean Theorem in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 8th Grade Math: Measuring Perimeter & Area
- 8th Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 8th Grade Math: Probability
- 8th Grade Math: Statistics
- 8th Grade Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions
- 8th Grade Math: Consumer Math
- 8th Grade Math: Number Sequences
- 8th Grade Math: Sets & Subsets
- 8th Grade Math: Algebraic Monomials & Polynomials