About This Chapter
Percents - Chapter Summary
By utilizing the online video lessons in the Percents chapter, you can help your 8th grade students learn techniques for converting between decimals and percents as well as fractions and percents. For instance, you can teach your students to use fourths, tenths, hundredths and halves when converting. Administer the chapter examination to make certain your students have retained the information on percents.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples||Students learn how to define a percent and complete examples with percents.|
|Converting from Percent Notation to Decimal Notation||In this lesson, students are taught to convert from percent notation to decimal notation.|
|Converting Percent Notation to Fraction Notation||Instructors define numerator and denominator, and they describe the process for converting a percent to a fraction.|
|Changing Between Decimals and Percents||Throughout this lesson, students learn the differences between decimals and percents and discover tips for converting between them.|
|Changing Between Decimals and Fractions||This lesson shows students how to change back and forth between decimals and fractions.|
|Changing Between Fractions and Percents||Students are given opportunities to practice changing between fractions and percents.|
|Converting Fractional Notation to Percent Notation||The instructor provides the definitions of fraction and percent, and outlines the steps for converting to percent notation from fractional notation.|
|Solve Problems Using Percents||Techniques for solving percent problems are presented in this lesson.|
|How to Solve Word Problems That Use Percents||Instructors teach students the steps for solving percent word problems.|
1. What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples
Thinking in terms of pizza is an excellent way to think about percentages. Learn how it can help you understand percentages in this video lesson. You will also learn about the uses of percentages in the real world.
2. Converting from Percent Notation to Decimal Notation
Knowing how to convert a percent to a decimal can be a useful skill in many different situations. This lesson will show you how to perform that conversion and places where this skill will be helpful.
3. Converting Percent Notation to Fraction Notation
The process of converting percents to fractions is quite easy if you know where to start. This lesson will show you how to perform the conversion and give some real-world examples.
4. Changing Between Decimals and Percents
Watch as we go on a rollercoaster ride in changing from a decimal to percent and then back again. Learn to master this technique so you can get as fast as a rollercoaster going downhill on tests and quizzes when you have to convert between the two.
5. Converting Decimals to Fractions (and Back)
In this lesson, learn how to convert decimals to fractions, and how to convert fractions to decimals. You will cement this knowledge in your mind by working through practice problems with both proper fractions and mixed numbers.
6. Converting Fractions to Percents
There are times when it is important to know how to convert a fraction to a percent. Fortunately, the steps to perform this conversion are not difficult. This lesson will show you those steps and give some examples.
7. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
8. How to Solve Word Problems That Use Percents
100 percent of percent problems can be solved if we follow the correct steps. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of different percent problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 8th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 8th Grade Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- 8th Grade Math: Divisibility
- 8th Grade Math: Number Properties
- 8th Grade Math: Number Theory
- 8th Grade Math: Factoring
- 8th Grade Math: Estimation and Rounding
- 8th Grade Math: Whole Numbers
- 8th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 8th Grade Math: Negative Numbers
- 8th Grade Math: Absolute Value
- 8th Grade Math: Integers
- 8th Grade Math: Rational Numbers
- 8th Grade Math: Inequalities
- 8th Grade Math: Introduction to Decimals
- 8th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 8th Grade Math: Introduction to Fractions
- 8th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 8th Grade Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- 8th Grade Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- 8th Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 8th Grade Math: Algebraic Distribution
- 8th Grade Math: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- 8th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 8th Grade Math: Linear Equations
- 8th Grade Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- 8th Grade Math: Properties of Functions
- 8th Grade Math: Graphing Functions
- 8th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 8th Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 8th Grade Math: Triangles in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Quadrilaterals in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Circles in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Polyhedrons and Geometric Solids
- 8th Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Triangle Theorems and Proofs in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Similar Polygons in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: The Pythagorean Theorem in Geometry
- 8th Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 8th Grade Math: Measuring Perimeter & Area
- 8th Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 8th Grade Math: Probability
- 8th Grade Math: Statistics
- 8th Grade Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions
- 8th Grade Math: Consumer Math
- 8th Grade Math: Number Sequences
- 8th Grade Math: Sets & Subsets
- 8th Grade Math: Algebraic Monomials & Polynomials