About This Chapter
Research Skills - Chapter Summary
As students make their way through high school and beyond to college, they will need to develop the skills to write effective academic papers. This chapter goes over research skills, including such topics as formatting, reviewing sources, and using citations. Like all of the resources on our site, the materials in this chapter can be accessed around the clock, so no matter when students have the time to study, they can always get to this information. Furthermore, with mobile devices, students can turn almost any location into a study center. Upon completing this chapter, students will be prepared to:
- Locate and evaluate sources
- Properly incorporate reference materials into essays
- Summarize, quote, and paraphrase sources
- Use in-text citations in MLA or APA format
- Create works cited pages
1. Finding & Evaluating Sources for Research
Not everything you read on the Internet is true. This video will help you navigate through different online sources and evaluate the validity of those sources to ensure that you can trust the information you use as part of your research.
2. How to Use Reference Material in Your Writing
When it comes to writing an essay or a vast array of other academic writing projects, you will often have to refer to the works of others. This video will teach you the skills to use reference materials in your writing.
3. Quoting, Paraphrasing and Summarizing Your Research
Quoting, paraphrasing and summarizing are three important skills to master for writing in the academic and business world. These skills will help support claims and add credibility to your work.
4. How to Make In-Text Citations
With this lesson, you'll get to know the basics of creating in-text citations. We'll go over both MLA and APA style parenthetical citations and how to use them to cite different types of sources.
5. What is MLA Format?
MLA format is one of the most common structures for organizing a paper in academic writing. In this video, we will cover the basics of MLA format, focusing on citing within the text and creating a Works Cited page.
6. How to Format APA Citations
All college students must not only know how to read and understand writing, they need to know how to write using the APA citation style as well. This video will pull back the covers of APA style writing and give you confidence when using APA.
7. How to Make a Works Cited Page
You will have to cite your sources properly whenever you borrow words or ideas for a paper. One part of proper citation is the Works Cited page. This lesson shows you how to put one together.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 9th Grade English: High School course
- 9th Grade English: Reading Skills
- 9th Grade English: Literary Text Analysis
- 9th Grade English: Literary Terms & Devices
- Short Stories: Cask of Amontillado, Most Dangerous Game, Scarlet Ibis
- Epic & Myth: The Odyssey & Perseus and Medusa
- Novel Exemplars: Night & Animal Farm
- Drama: To Kill a Mockingbird & Romeo and Juliet
- Poetry: Hope is the Thing with Feathers, The Raven & In Just
- Nonfiction Texts: Gettysburg Address & Washington's Farewell
- High School English: Media & Art Analysis
- 9th Grade English: Word Choice & Tone
- 9th Grade English: Argumentative Reading & Writing
- 9th Grade English: Informative & Technical Writing
- 9th Grade English: Narrative Writing
- 9th Grade English: The Writing Process
- 9th Grade English: Speaking & Listening Skills
- Homeschool Resources for 9th Grade English
- Homeschool Resources for Animal Farm
- Homeschool Resources for To Kill a Mockingbird
- Homeschool Resources for Romeo and Juliet
- 9th Grade English: Homeschool Assignments & Projects