About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering 9th grade English material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn 9th grade English. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the different types of essays or 9th grade essay basics
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning English (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about 9th grade essay basics
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra English learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the 9th grade essay basics chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the 9th grade essay basics chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about the basics of essays. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an essay basics unit of a standard 9th grade English course. Topics covered include:
- Narrative essays
- Descriptive essays
- Informative essays
- Persuasive essays
- Evaluative essays
1. Narrative Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
Essays come in many forms. In this lesson, you'll learn all about a narrative essay, from its basic definition to the key characteristics that make for an engaging and effective essay.
2. Descriptive Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
A descriptive essay allows you to paint a picture for your reader in words. Watch this video to learn more about the techniques and elements that can help you fill the picture with lots of great details.
3. Informative Essay: Definition, Examples & Structure
There are many ways to inform your reader on a topic, from comparing and contrasting to providing a simple definition. Watch this lesson to learn about informative essays and how they educate readers through different formats.
4. Evaluative Essay: Examples, Format & Characteristics
A good evaluative essay helps a writer present an opinion using criteria and evidence. Learn all about the evaluative essay and its components in this lesson.
5. Persuasive Words & Phrases in Writing
Persuasive essays require a precise and swaying vocabulary to convince readers of the point. In this lesson, we will uncover the best persuasive words and phrases for academic essays.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 9th Grade English: Help and Review course
- 9th Grade English - Prose: Help and Review
- American Novels for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- American Short Stories for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Ancient Literature for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- British Fiction for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Contemporary Fiction for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- 9th Grade Dramatic Literature: Help and Review
- Drama for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Poetry for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- 9th Grade Literary Terms: Help and Review
- Text Analysis and Close Reading in 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Introduction to High School Writing: Help and Review
- The Writing Process for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Conventions in 9th Grade Writing: Grammar: Help and Review
- Using Source Materials in 9th Grade English: Help and Review
- Elements of 9th Grade Grammar: Help and Review
- 9th Grade Grammar Usage: Help and Review
- Punctuation in 9th Grade Writing: Help and Review