About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other 9th grade English work.
- Identify the basic essay concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our 9th grade English tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about essay basics and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding evaluative, narrative, and persuasive essays or any other basic essay topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their basic essay unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in 9th grade English
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about essay basics simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live 9th grade English tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about essay basics on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Look at examples of narrative essays.
- List the characteristics of descriptive essays.
- Describe the structure of informative essays.
- Name the components of a persuasive essay.
- Understand the format of an evaluative essay.
1. Narrative Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
Essays come in many forms. In this lesson, you'll learn all about a narrative essay, from its basic definition to the key characteristics that make for an engaging and effective essay.
2. Descriptive Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
A descriptive essay allows you to paint a picture for your reader in words. Watch this video to learn more about the techniques and elements that can help you fill the picture with lots of great details.
3. Informative Essay: Definition, Examples & Structure
There are many ways to inform your reader on a topic, from comparing and contrasting to providing a simple definition. Watch this lesson to learn about informative essays and how they educate readers through different formats.
4. Components of Writing a Persuasive Essay
In this lesson, we will define persuasive writing, look at the different goals of a persuasive essay, and then discuss how to plan and develop a persuasive topic.
5. Evaluative Essay: Examples, Format & Characteristics
A good evaluative essay helps a writer present an opinion using criteria and evidence. Learn all about the evaluative essay and its components in this lesson.
6. How to Write a Personal Narrative Essay: Example & Topics
This lesson will highlight personal narrative essay topics and examples that will allow your students to write from their own experiences. A short quiz will follow to test your knowledge about personal narrative essay writing.
7. How to Write a Synthesis Essay: Definition & Example
This is a lesson about how to write a synthesis essay, which is an advanced type of writing whereby the writer chooses a topic, asserts a claim, selects and combines sources, then constructs an original, well-written essay. A quiz will follow.
8. Compare & Contrast Essay: Definition, Topics & Examples
This lesson explains what it is to write a compare and contrast essay. For the student who needs to describe two subjects, a compare and contrast essay offers the opportunity to explore the similarities and differences of a topic.
9. Persuasive Essay: Format, Topics & Examples
Writing a persuasive essay may sound tricky, but it really isn't. This lesson will take you through the process, present possible topics and show you some examples of great persuasive essay elements.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 9th Grade English: Tutoring Solution course
- 9th Grade English - Prose: Tutoring Solution
- American Novels for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- American Short Stories for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Ancient Literature for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- British Fiction for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Contemporary Fiction for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Dramatic Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Drama for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Poetry for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- Text Analysis and Close Reading in 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to High School Writing: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Conventions in 9th Grade Writing: Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Using Source Materials in 9th Grade English: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Capitalization & Spelling: Tutoring Solution
- Elements of 9th Grade Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Grammar Usage: Tutoring Solution
- Punctuation in 9th Grade Writing: Tutoring Solution