About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering 9th grade English material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn the subject. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding error identification or 9th grade grammar usage
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning English (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about 9th grade grammar usage
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra English learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the 9th grade grammar usage chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the 9th grade grammar usage chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any 9th grade grammar usage question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any Web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a grammar usage unit of a standard 9th grade English course. Topics covered include:
- Subject-verb agreement error identification
- Verb tense error identification
- Singular and plural pronoun error identification
1. Identifying Subject-Verb Agreement Errors
It's important that the subject and verb in every sentence agree in number. While it's often easy to make this happen, there are a few situations in which it can be tricky to achieve subject-verb agreement. This lesson explains how you can be sure to pair the right verb with a subject.
2. Identifying Errors of Verb Tense
In order to identify verb tense errors, you'll need to learn about the six verb tenses and how they differ. Once you know how to look for them, problematic shifts in verb tenses can be spotted and avoided easily.
3. Identifying Errors of Singular and Plural Pronouns
It's sometimes not completely clear at first whether a singular or plural pronoun is necessary in a sentence. This lesson covers those confusing situations and explains how to be sure that you're using the right pronoun.
4. Complete Subject: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will look at the complete subject of a sentence. The complete subject is more than just one word; it also includes all of the words that modify the subject.
5. What Is a Root Word? - Definition & Examples
Words are arguably the basis of our entire language. However, understanding all the parts of words can be difficult. Read this lesson to discover how we use root words.
6. Portmanteau Words: Definition & Examples
This lesson will teach you all about having fun with the English language through portmanteau! Portmanteau is the art of blending two or more words together to make a new word with its own special meaning. So chillax, sit back and follow along as we explore the meaning of portmanteau, its function and examples used today. Let's unpack our writing suitcase to discover a technique that may not be so new to you, after all!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 9th Grade English: Help and Review course
- 9th Grade English - Prose: Help and Review
- American Novels for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- American Short Stories for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Ancient Literature for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- British Fiction for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Contemporary Fiction for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- 9th Grade Dramatic Literature: Help and Review
- Drama for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Poetry for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- 9th Grade Literary Terms: Help and Review
- Text Analysis and Close Reading in 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Introduction to High School Writing: Help and Review
- 9th Grade Essay Basics: Types of Essay: Help and Review
- The Writing Process for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Conventions in 9th Grade Writing: Grammar: Help and Review
- Using Source Materials in 9th Grade English: Help and Review
- Elements of 9th Grade Grammar: Help and Review
- Punctuation in 9th Grade Writing: Help and Review