About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other 9th grade English work.
- Identify the grammar usage concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our 9th grade English tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about grammar usage and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding errors related to singular and plural pronouns, subject-verb agreement, verb tense or any other grammar usage topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their grammar usage unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in 9th grade English
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about grammar usage simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live 9th grade English tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about grammar usage on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Understand how to avoid subject-verb agreement errors.
- Identify verb tense errors.
- Discuss singular and plural pronoun errors.
1. Identifying Subject-Verb Agreement Errors
It's important that the subject and verb in every sentence agree in number. While it's often easy to make this happen, there are a few situations in which it can be tricky to achieve subject-verb agreement. This lesson explains how you can be sure to pair the right verb with a subject.
2. Identifying Errors of Verb Tense
In order to identify verb tense errors, you'll need to learn about the six verb tenses and how they differ. Once you know how to look for them, problematic shifts in verb tenses can be spotted and avoided easily.
3. Identifying Errors of Singular and Plural Pronouns
It's sometimes not completely clear at first whether a singular or plural pronoun is necessary in a sentence. This lesson covers those confusing situations and explains how to be sure that you're using the right pronoun.
4. Teaching Grammar to High School Students
High school students, whether they are headed to college or into the workforce, need a command of standard English grammar. The best practice for teaching grammar in today's classroom is to provide grammar instruction in the context of writing lessons.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 9th Grade English: Tutoring Solution course
- 9th Grade English - Prose: Tutoring Solution
- American Novels for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- American Short Stories for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Ancient Literature for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- British Fiction for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Contemporary Fiction for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Dramatic Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Drama for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Poetry for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- Text Analysis and Close Reading in 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to High School Writing: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Essay Basics: Types of Essay: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process for 9th Grade: Tutoring Solution
- Conventions in 9th Grade Writing: Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Using Source Materials in 9th Grade English: Tutoring Solution
- 9th Grade Capitalization & Spelling: Tutoring Solution
- Elements of 9th Grade Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Punctuation in 9th Grade Writing: Tutoring Solution