About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering the historical context of A Christmas Carol will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn the historical context of this novella. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing details about society and culture in 19th century England, the Victorian code of morality and facts about A Christmas Carol
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the A Christmas Carol Historical Context chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the A Christmas Carol Historical Context chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the historical context of A Christmas Carol for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- The society, social classes and culture of 19th century England
- History and facts of A Christmas Carol
- Victorian England's class system and code of morality
1. 19th Century England: Society, Social Classes, & Culture
The 19th century, also referred to as the Victorian Era, ushered in an era of unprecedented prosperity to England. This lesson touches on 19th-century English society, its social values and class divisions, the Industrial Revolution, and the British Empire.
2. A Christmas Carol: History & Facts
This lesson provides an overview of 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens. You'll learn about the author, his background, and how he came to write the book. You'll also examine the book's historical context and its place in the world today.
3. Class System in Victorian England
England saw a number of changes under the reign of Queen Victoria. One of those was the development of a new class system. In this lesson, we'll look at this system and see what it meant for English society.
4. Victorian Code of Morality
Victorian morality represents the morals of the people living during the Victorian era, specifically in Great Britain during the nineteenth century. In this lesson, the different aspects of the Victorian era code of morality will be discussed.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.