About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Abnormal Disorders in Psychology chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Fundamentals of abnormal disorders; classification and diagnosis||Definition of terms, such as disorders, perception, hallucination and schizophrenia; ways psychologists diagnose abnormal disorders|
|Tuesday||Cognitive, anxiety, mood and somatoform disorders||Definition of these disorders and their historical context; biological, psychological, and sociocultural models of etiology; and biological, psychological, and socialcultural models of treatment|
|Wednesday||Psychosis, schizophrenia; dissociative dissorders and eating disorders||Types of schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders and their treatment; causes, symptoms and treatments of dissociative disorders and eating disorders, along with current and historical views|
|Thursday||Stress, personality disorders and organic disorders; sexual dysfunction||Definitions of stress and stress management strategies, personality disorders and organic disorders; types and phases of sexual dysfuntion|
|Friday||Substance use, abuse, and dependence; attention deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD), lifespan development and factitious disorders||Causes of substance abuse; ADD and ADHD; Asperger Syndrome and autism; conduct disorder and oppositional defiance disorder; meaning and background of lifespan development disorders; meaning and symptoms of factitious disorders|
1. Psychological Disorders: Definition, Examples & Approaches to Treatment
How are psychological disorders related to perception and learning? What type of psychologist helps treat these disorders? From imaginary voices to an intense fear of birds, this video will introduce you to the nature of disorders.
2. Classification & Diagnosis of Psychological Disorders
How do you diagnose something that you can't see? That's the problem faced by psychologists. This lesson will show you the tool they use to help diagnose their patients.
3. What Are Cognitive Disorders? - Definition and Perspectives
The human ability to think is what sets us apart from the other animals. But what happens when memories or the ability to learn disappears? In this lesson we'll look at three common types of cognitive disorders: dementia, delirium, and amnestic disorders.
4. Understanding Anxiety Disorders: Definition and Perspectives in Mental Health
Anxiety disorders are the most common type of mental disorder, affecting as many as one in four people. In this lesson, we will explore anxiety disorders including common causes, symptoms, and treatments.
5. Defining and Understanding Mood Disorders
When someone has abnormal feelings that affect his or her life, he or she might be suffering from a mood disorder. In this lesson, we'll look closer at the types of mood disorders and the different theoretical views of them.
6. Somatoform Disorders: Definition and Perspectives
What happens when psychological pain becomes physical pain? In this lesson, we'll look at the category of mental illness known as somatoform disorders, including the history and current views on them.
7. Dissociative Disorders: Amnesia, Dissociative Fugue & Split Personalities
There are times when the human brain can actually separate its different parts, sometimes as a defense mechanism. These are known as dissociative disorders. This lesson takes a closer look at these kinds of disorders and how they impact the mind.
8. Psychotic Disorders: Definition and Perspectives in Mental Health
What does it mean to be psychotic? What exactly are psychotic disorders? In this lesson, we'll look at some of the symptoms common in psychotic disorders, how they are treated, and how they have historically been viewed.
9. Schizophrenia: Definition & Overview
Our perception of schizophrenia is largely shaped by what we see in the movies. Is schizophrenia more than just a 'hallucination' disease? Check out this lesson to find out about the different types of schizophrenia.
10. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) & Eating Disorders: Definition & Types
Many of us have something about our appearance that we'd like to change, but for some people these desires can develop into actual disorders. How are body dysmorphic disorder and eating disorders related? This lesson gives you a closer look at these disorders and the impact they can have on people.
11. Stress Disorders: Definition and Perspectives
Everyone has to deal with stress, but some people do not manage their stress in a healthy way. In this lesson, we will look more closely at psychological disorders related to stress, including ways that people react to and manage stress.
12. Personality Disorders: Borderline, Histrionic, Narcissistic, Schizoid & Antisocial
Will the Personality Disorder Crime Force make it out of the office today? In this lesson, you'll learn about each superhero's personality disorder as a late delivery of donuts sets off some of their common behaviors.
13. What Is a Sexual Dysfunction? - Definition, Phases & Types
What happens when an otherwise healthy adult can't enjoy sex? In this lesson, we'll look at the four phases of sexual activity and sexual dysfunctions that can occur in each phase. In addition, we'll look at some common causes of sexual dysfunction.
14. What Are Organic Disorders? - Definition & Examples
What happens when changes in your brain cause changes in your mental state? In this lesson, we'll examine organic mental disorders, including common symptoms and two of the major causes of them, brain trauma and disease.
15. Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence: Definition and Causes of Substance Disorders
Substance use, abuse, and dependence are often confused with each other. In this lesson, we'll look at the differences between the three and common causes of addiction.
16. Attention Deficit and Disruptive Behavior Disorders
Kids tend to throw temper tantrums and act hyper. But what happens when a kid goes beyond what's considered normal? In this lesson, we'll look at some psychological disorders often diagnosed in childhood: attentional and behavioral disorders.
17. Lifespan Development Disorders: Definition and Perspectives
Everyone grows and changes throughout their life, but why do some people have developmental problems? In this lesson, we'll look at common lifespan development disorders and major theories about how people develop them.
18. Factitious Disorders: Definition and Symptoms
What many people know as 'Munchausen Syndrome' is actually called 'factitious disorder.' In this lesson, we'll look a little closer at the history of factitious disorders and the differences in them and malingering.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Psychology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- History of Psychology Lesson Plans
- Research Methods in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Data Collection in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sampling in Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Measurement in Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Statistics in Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Evaluating Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Biological Bases of Behavior Lesson Plans
- Sensation & Perception Lesson Plans
- Motivation & Needs Lesson Plans
- Emotion in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Stress in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Life Span Developmental Psychology Lesson Plans
- Theories for Life Span Development Lesson Plans
- Biological Development in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sensory & Perceptual Development Lesson Plans
- Cognitive Development Lesson Plans
- Physical Development & Psychology Lesson Plans
- Social Development in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Personality Development & Theories Lesson Plans
- Learning & Conditioning in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Memory & Cognition in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Intelligence Testing in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sleep & Other States of Consciousness Lesson Plans
- Basics of Social Psychology Lesson Plans
- Basics of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Theories of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Treatment of Psychological Disorders Lesson Plans
- Legal & Ethical Issues in Psychology Lesson Plans