About This Chapter
Absolute Value Expressions & Graphs - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Improve your understanding of mathematics by studying absolute value expressions and graphs. This chapter helps you learn what an absolute value is and how to solve problems that involve these expressions. Watch each video lesson to you'll find out more about:
- Evaluating absolute value expressions
- Solving absolute value equations
- Graphing absolute value equations
- Performing transformations, dilations and reflections
- Solving and graphing absolute value inequalities
|What is an Absolute Value?||Analyze how to determine the magnitude of a number.|
|How to Evaluate Absolute Value Expressions||Break down the best way to evaluate an absolute value expression.|
|How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation||Assess and avoid possible mistakes when solving an absolute value equation.|
|How to Graph an Absolute Value and Do Transformations||Compare methods for graphing absolute value.|
|Graphing Absolute Value Equations: Dilations & Reflections||Focus on the steps for graphing absolute value equations.|
|The Absolute-Value Inequality: Definition & Example||Prepare yourself to solve absolute-value inequalities.|
|Solving and Graphing Absolute Value Inequalities: Practice Problems||Test your understanding of absolute value inequalities.|
1. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
2. How to Evaluate Absolute Value Expressions
Substituting values into absolute values doesn't have to be too hard, but it can be if you're given deceiving beginning information. See if you're up to it by checking out this video!
3. How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation
Once you get familiar with any new operation, the next step in any algebra class is to learn how to solve equations with that operation in them. Absolute values are no different. Solve absolute value equations here!
4. Solving Absolute Value Practice Problems
There are many easy mistakes to make when solving absolute value equations. Learn how to avoid those mistakes here by working on examples of absolute value equations with operations on the inside and the outside of the absolute value.
5. How to Graph an Absolute Value and Do Transformations
Absolute value graphs normally look like the letter 'V', but transformations can change that 'V' in a number of different ways. As well as teaching you how to graph absolute values, this video will focus on a specific group of transformations called translations. Learn all about what that means here!
6. Graphing Absolute Value Equations: Dilations & Reflections
Although a basic absolute value graph isn't complicated, transformations can make them sufficiently confusing! In this lesson, you'll practice different transformations of absolute value graphs.
7. The Absolute-Value Inequality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve absolute value inequalities. Learn how you can easily set up your problem to successfully solve your problem each and every time.
8. Solving and Graphing Absolute Value Inequalities: Practice Problems
Solving and graphing absolute value inequalities brings a lot of different skills together in one place. The practice problems in this video will give you a good chance to see more examples of absolute value inequalities but will also test your general algebraic knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Intermediate Algebra for College Students course
- Algebra Review
- Number Theory Principles
- Exponents & Their Properties
- Rational Expressions & Practice
- Linear Equations, Systems & Graphs
- Linear Inequalities
- Complex Numbers, Forms & Graphs
- Quadratic Equations & Solutions
- Logarithmic & Trigonometric Equations
- Cartesian Coordinate System
- Linear Models
- Types of Functions
- Graphing & Transforming Functions
- Quadratic & Polynomial Functions
- Operations on Functions
- Real, Complex & Rational Zeros
- Rational Functions & Inequalities
- Pythagorean Theorem
- Probability Calculations
- Measurement & Unit Conversion