About This Chapter
Absolute Value Review - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Take some time to review this important concept before moving forward with algebra and trig. Refresh your memory of how to evaluate absolute value expressions, solve absolute value equations and graph absolute value with transformations. When you've completed this chapter, you should be confident working with the following:
- Concept of absolute value
- Evaluation of absolute value expressions
- Methods for solving absolute value equations
- Graphs of absolute value with transformations, dilations and reflections
|What is an Absolute Value?||Review the concept of absolute value.|
|How to Evaluate Absolute Value Expressions||Learn steps for evaluating absolute value expressions.|
|How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation||Find out ways to solve absolute value equations.|
|Solving Absolute Value Practice Problems||Practice coming up with solutions for absolute value.|
|How to Graph an Absolute Value and Do Transformations||Explore absolute value graphs with transformations.|
|Graphing Absolute Value Equations: Dilations & Reflections||Examine absolute value equation graphs with dilations and reflections.|
1. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
2. How to Evaluate Absolute Value Expressions
Substituting values into absolute values doesn't have to be too hard, but it can be if you're given deceiving beginning information. See if you're up to it by checking out this video!
3. How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation
Once you get familiar with any new operation, the next step in any algebra class is to learn how to solve equations with that operation in them. Absolute values are no different. Solve absolute value equations here!
4. Solving Absolute Value Practice Problems
There are many easy mistakes to make when solving absolute value equations. Learn how to avoid those mistakes here by working on examples of absolute value equations with operations on the inside and the outside of the absolute value.
5. How to Graph an Absolute Value and Do Transformations
Absolute value graphs normally look like the letter 'V', but transformations can change that 'V' in a number of different ways. As well as teaching you how to graph absolute values, this video will focus on a specific group of transformations called translations. Learn all about what that means here!
6. Graphing Absolute Value Equations: Dilations & Reflections
Although a basic absolute value graph isn't complicated, transformations can make them sufficiently confusing! In this lesson, you'll practice different transformations of absolute value graphs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra 2 and Trig Textbook course
- Identifying Real Numbers
- Complex Numbers
- Solving Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- Calculating Rational Expressions
- Working with Linear Equations
- Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- Graphing & Working with Trigonometric Functions
- Graph Symmetry
- Graphing with Functions
- Solving Linear Equations
- Calculating & Graphing Polynomials
- Calculating & Simplifying Exponential Expressions
- Square Roots & Radical Expressions
- Quadratic Equations & Formulas
- Factoring & Graphing Quadratic Equations
- Conic Sections: Ellipses, Circles, Hyperbolas & Parabolas
- Vectors, Matrices and Determinants
- Exponential Functions & Logarithmic Functions
- Arithmetic & Geometric Sequences & Series
- Calculating & Presenting Statistics
- Combinatorics & Probability
- Using Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometric Graphs
- Trigonometric Applications
- Solving Trigonometric Equations
- Trigonometric Identities
- Circles, Angles & Circular Arcs