About This Chapter
Abuse of Lesser Known Drugs - Chapter Summary
Learning can be entertaining, especially when using these mobile-friendly lessons on the abuse of lesser known drugs. Professional instructors provide an overview of club drug dependence, including the signs and symptoms. You can also study different types of designer drugs. After completing the chapter, you should feel confident and ready to:
- Discuss substance abuse and the combining of substances
- Provide examples of designer drugs
- Describe the effects of club drugs
- Explain how club drugs are misused and abused
- Recall how dietary supplements are abused
- Outline the use and abuse of herbal substances
Our online learning platform offers the flexibility of studying whenever it's convenient for you. There's also the option of taking a short quiz to assess how much you know about the abuse of lesser known drugs. You are in complete control of the learning process. By printing the quiz in worksheet form, you can even study offline.
1. Combining Substances: An Examination of Substance Abuse
Some people take different types of substances at the same time in order to get a better high or by accident. In this lesson, we'll look at why people combine substances, commonly combined substances, and the dangerous side effects.
2. Designer Drugs: Definition, Types & Examples
Designer drugs are synthetically created substances designed to mimic the effects of existing drugs. In this lesson, learn more about the dangers of designer drugs and see examples of types of designer drugs.
3. What Are Club Drugs? - Definition & Effects
Club drugs are recreational drugs that go by a lot of different names, such as the date-rape drugs, special K, crystal meth and ecstasy. Learn these drugs by their real names and discover how they affect the body.
4. Club Drug Misuse & Abuse Patterns
What are examples of club drugs? Can these drugs be abused? What does withdrawal have to do with them? This lesson answers these questions and covers the important signs and symptoms of club drug misuse and abuse.
5. Signs & Symptoms of Club Drug Dependence
Do you know what club drugs are? Do you know what the signs and symptoms of club drug abuse and dependence are? You should, because one day you may use this knowledge to save a life!
6. Dietary Supplement Use & Abuse
What are dietary supplements? Do we really even need them? What for? And are they really dangerous to us? This lesson will cover the essential answers to these questions.
7. Herbal Substance Use & Abuse
Herbal substances are used all over the world. Some are known to have proven or potentially beneficial effects. This lesson will discuss some commonly used and abused herbal substances and tell you why they are not free of side effects.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Substance Abuse: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- History & Psychology of Substance Abuse
- Theories & Models of Abuse
- Pharmacological & Neurophysiological Principles
- Classification of Drugs & the DEA
- Alcoholism & Its Effects
- Inhaled Substances
- Tobacco & Nicotine
- Psychomotor Stimulants & Their Effects
- Anabolic Steroids
- Prescription & Over-the-Counter Drugs
- Anti-anxiety & Sedative Hypnotics
- Antipsychotic Drugs, Antidepressants & Mood Stabilizers
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Substance Abuse Flashcards