About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ACCESS Math Introduction to Algebra chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the algebra topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- How to follow the order of operations in math
- To determine what a variable is
- How to write algebraic expressions
- Methods for adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing equalities
ACCESS Math is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
2. What is a Variable in Algebra?
Did you ever encounter something like a + b = c and wonder how all these letters snuck into a math problem? In this lesson, we'll learn about variables, as well as other parts of equations, constants and coefficients.
3. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
4. Addition Property of Equality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to use the addition property of equality to help you solve problems. In addition, you can learn the formula for this property.
5. Subtraction Property of Equality: Definition & Example
In this video lesson, we look at the subtraction property of equality. Learn how it helps you to solve problems and how it keeps equations the same. Learn what you must do to both sides of an equation.
6. Multiplication Property of Equality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you will learn to use the multiplication property of equality to help you solve problems in math. You will also learn the formula for this property.
7. Division Property of Equality: Definition & Example
In this video lesson, you will learn about the division property of equality, its formula, and how you can use it to help you solve problems where you are looking for an unknown number.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACCESS Math: Online Textbook Help course
- ACCESS Math Unit 1: Number Concepts
- ACCESS Math Unit 3: Decimals
- ACCESS Math Unit 4: Number Theory
- ACCESS Math Unit 5: Fractions & Mixed Numbers
- ACCESS Math Unit 6: Ratios, Proportions & Percents
- ACCESS Math Unit 7: Data & Statistics
- ACCESS Math Unit 8: Geometry
- ACCESS Math Unit 9: Area & Volume
- ACCESS Math Unit 10: Probability
- ACCESS Math Unit 11: Integers
- ACCESS Math Unit 12: More Algebra