About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ACCESS Math Fractions & Mixed Numbers chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the fractions and mixed numbers topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Different kinds of fractions
- What mixed numbers are
- How to change improper fractions to mixed numbers
- How to compare and order mixed numbers
- How to subtract and add fractions and mixed numbers
- How fractions and mixed numbers are multiplied and divided
ACCESS Math is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
Fractions may be your friend's worst nightmare, but they don't have to be yours. Watch this video lesson to learn about fractions and how you can understand them easily. Also learn to identify the different types of fractions.
2. What Are Mixed Numbers? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will give the definition of mixed numbers and explain the purpose mixed numbers serve. It will also provide plenty of examples to ensure complete understanding of this concept.
3. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
4. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
5. Comparing & Ordering Mixed Numbers
Read this lesson, and you'll learn how you can easily compare and order your mixed numbers. You'll learn how fractions can actually help you to easily see which number is larger or smaller.
6. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
7. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
8. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
9. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACCESS Math: Online Textbook Help course
- ACCESS Math Unit 1: Number Concepts
- ACCESS Math Unit 2: Introduction to Algebra
- ACCESS Math Unit 3: Decimals
- ACCESS Math Unit 4: Number Theory
- ACCESS Math Unit 6: Ratios, Proportions & Percents
- ACCESS Math Unit 7: Data & Statistics
- ACCESS Math Unit 8: Geometry
- ACCESS Math Unit 9: Area & Volume
- ACCESS Math Unit 10: Probability
- ACCESS Math Unit 11: Integers
- ACCESS Math Unit 12: More Algebra