About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ACCESS Math Ratios, Proportions & Percents chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover ratio, proportion and percent topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Definitions for ratios, proportions and percents
- How to convert between fractions and percents
- How to change between decimals and percents
- How to solve problems using percents
- How taxes and discounts are calculated
- The simple interest formula
ACCESS Math is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
2. What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples
Thinking in terms of pizza is an excellent way to think about percentages. Learn how it can help you understand percentages in this video lesson. You will also learn about the uses of percentages in the real world.
3. Converting Fractions to Percents & Back
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how to turn any fraction into a percent and vice versa. You will learn how they are related and how to write your answers properly.
4. Changing Between Decimals and Percents
Watch as we go on a rollercoaster ride in changing from a decimal to percent and then back again. Learn to master this technique so you can get as fast as a rollercoaster going downhill on tests and quizzes when you have to convert between the two.
5. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
6. How to Use Percents Greater Than 100
In this lesson, we'll look at taking the percentage of a number and we'll specifically look at percentages that are greater than 100. We'll see how to work with these types of percentages and look at some examples.
7. Taxes & Discounts: Calculations & Examples
When you go shopping, you don't want to be surprised by the amount of tax on an item. You also want to fully understand discounts to know how much you can save. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating both tax and discounts.
8. How to Find Simple Interest Rate: Definition, Formula & Examples
When we borrow a certain sum of money over a period of time, we agree that we will pay it back, along with a fee, known as the interest owed. Similarly, when we invest a sum of money in a savings account, the account earns us interest. This lesson will show you how to calculate a certain type of interest called simple interest.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACCESS Math: Online Textbook Help course
- ACCESS Math Unit 1: Number Concepts
- ACCESS Math Unit 2: Introduction to Algebra
- ACCESS Math Unit 3: Decimals
- ACCESS Math Unit 4: Number Theory
- ACCESS Math Unit 5: Fractions & Mixed Numbers
- ACCESS Math Unit 7: Data & Statistics
- ACCESS Math Unit 8: Geometry
- ACCESS Math Unit 9: Area & Volume
- ACCESS Math Unit 10: Probability
- ACCESS Math Unit 11: Integers
- ACCESS Math Unit 12: More Algebra