About This Chapter
Accountant Professional Ethics - Chapter Summary
This chapter simplifies the process of studying ethics in the accounting profession. Review lessons at your leisure to take an in-depth look at concepts that include business ethics, corporate social responsibility and the fraud triangle. Choose lessons you want to examine in any sequence. When finished, you will be able to:
- Discuss the concept of ethics in contemporary businesses
- Share details about the Institute of Management Accountants' statement of ethics
- Identify and describe the three parts of the fraud triangle in business ethics
- Summarize and discuss cases associated with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- List the four levels of corporate social responsibility
Expert instructors with a wealth of accounting knowledge present short and engaging lessons you can easily fit into a busy schedule. With each lesson is a mini quiz designed to gauge your comprehension of professional ethics for accountants. The chapter exam provides a broader review of lesson concepts. If you hit a snag while reviewing the lessons and need additional information, feel free to submit your questions to our experts.
1. Business Ethics in Contemporary Businesses
The concept of ethics is easy to give examples of but hard to define. In this lesson, we will discuss ethics and how they apply in the business world, as well as discuss an example of an ethical situation using Enron.
2. Institute of Management Accountants Statement of Ethics
Being ethical and building ethics into your everyday work is critical for the success of financial professionals. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the IMA's Statement of Ethics and guidelines for its implementation.
3. The Fraud Triangle & Business Ethics: Parts & Application
Individuals commit fraud for a number of different reasons. In this lesson, you will learn about the different kinds of fraud, and the factors that explain why individuals commit it.
4. What Is the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act? - Summary & Cases
This lesson covers the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. In this lesson, we'll take a look at the definition of the Act and what happens when a company violates it. We'll also review some real life examples of violations.
5. The Levels of Corporate Social Responsibility
Most companies do not start as socially-responsible companies. In fact, the path to embracing corporate social responsibility consists of four different levels that companies progress through that will benefit their stakeholders.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Certified Management Accountant (CMA): Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Financial Statements Overview
- Financial Valuation, Recognition & Measurement
- Financial Strategic Planning
- Budgeting Concepts for Accountants
- Forecasting Techniques in Business
- Budgeting Methodologies in Accounting
- Annual Profit Planning
- Financial Projections
- Cost & Variance Measures in Performance Management
- Responsibility Centers & Reporting Segments
- Performance Measurement in Accounting
- Cost Measurement & Systems
- Overhead Costs
- Understanding Supply Chain Management
- Business Process Improvement
- Governance, Risk & Compliance in Accounting
- Accounting Systems Controls & Security Measures
- Accounting & Enterprise Information Systems
- Data Governance
- Technology-Enabled Finance Transformation
- Data Analytics
- Basic Financial Statement Analysis
- Profitability Analysis
- Financial Statement Special Issues
- Basics of Corporate Finance
- Capital Management Overview
- Corporate Restructuring
- International Finance Practices
- Business Decision Analysis
- Risk Management for Business
- Investment Decisions
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA) Flashcards