About This Chapter
Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Fractions - Chapter Summary
These bite-sized video lessons break important fractions concepts down into easy to understand topics. As you work your way through this chapter, you can review for the following skills you'll need to demonstrate on the Accuplacer arithmetic test:
- Define, compare and order fractions
- Explain equivalent, proper and improper fractions
- Build and reduce fractions
- Change mixed numbers to improper fractions
- Add, divide and multiply fractions with mixed numbers
- Utilize fraction notation and order of operations
- Estimate and simplify fractions
- Add and subtract rational numbers
Use the lesson quizzes to practice basic operations with fractions and fraction conversions. You'll be able to use your results to determine which areas need further review. If you need any assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to our instructors.
1. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
Fractions may be your friend's worst nightmare, but they don't have to be yours. Watch this video lesson to learn about fractions and how you can understand them easily. Also, learn to identify the different types of fractions.
2. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
3. What are Equivalent Fractions? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll review some fraction terminology and then learn what equivalent fractions are. Afterward, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
4. Proper Fractions: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will discuss just what makes proper fractions proper. We will see how they compare to improper fractions, as well as look at several examples.
5. What is an Improper Fraction? - Definition & Example
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of an improper fraction, as well as proper fractions and mixed fractions. You will be given examples of improper fractions to properly illustrate what they are.
6. How to Build and Reduce Fractions
Fractions are a fundamental part of everyday life. Fractions represent a comparison of a part to the whole. To reduce fractions, we will divide by the greatest common factor, or the GCF.
7. How to Change Mixed Numbers to Improper Fractions
When it comes to fractions in algebra, we hardly ever use mixed numbers. Instead, we opt for the ease of use of improper fractions. Watch this video lesson to learn how to change your mixed numbers to improper fractions.
8. Adding & Subtracting Rational Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to add and subtract rational numbers like a pro. Learn what is involved in adding and subtracting these types of numbers.
9. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
10. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
11. Practice with Fraction and Mixed Number Arithmetic
Adding whole numbers is one thing. But adding fractions and mixed numbers? That's not so simple. Or is it? In this lesson, we'll practice arithmetic with both fractions and mixed numbers.
12. Using Fraction Notation: Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication & Division
How do we add, subtract, multiply or divide with fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn how to use fraction notation correctly no matter what operation we're completing.
13. Estimation Problems using Fractions
When working with fractions, estimating can save time and effort while getting you very close to the correct answer. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use estimation to quickly solve problems involving fractions.
14. Order of Operations with Fractions
Have you ever tried to put your socks on after putting on your shoes? It doesn't work does it? In math, there is also a certain order in which equations have to be solved to get the correct answer. In this lesson, you will learn this important order of operations.
15. How to Simplify Word Problems with Fractions Using Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve word problems with fractions in them easily by turning your fractions into whole numbers. Learn what you need to do to get rid of your fractions so you can easily solve your problem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- About the Accuplacer Arithmetic Test
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication & Division of Whole Numbers
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Decimals
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Percents
- Arithmetic in Everyday Life
- Equalities & Inequalities
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Flashcards