About This Chapter
Achievements of Famous Scientists - Chapter Summary
Our instructors will discuss the history and accomplishments of Galileo as well as the discoveries made by Sir Isaac Newton. Carolus Linnaeus' contributions to biology with his taxonomy system will be presented, as well as the discoveries of Marie Curie, one of the most renowned scientists in history.
The DNA discoveries of James Watson and Francis Crick are explored, as well as the life and work of Stephen Hawking. Once you have completed this chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand why Galileo's scientific findings are so important to modern science
- Identify which English scientist is considered one of history's greatest
- Explain the theories of Charles Darwin
- Describe Albert Einstein's influence on science and the world
- Name the two-time Nobel Prize-winner who revolutionized the study of radiation
- Discuss the two scientists responsible for discovering the DNA molecule
- Outline the life and theories of world-famous physicist Stephen Hawking
Use these chapter tests and lesson quizzes to measure how well you understand the information presented. Our study materials have been created by professional instructors to make sure your learning experience is quick and interesting. If you have questions as you read through the lessons, contact one of our instructors for more help.
1. Who Was Galileo? - Contributions, History & Accomplishments
Learn what makes Galileo's life and work such an important part of the development of the modern scientific approach. Find out what concepts he developed regarding the motion of objects, and read about what he observed with a telescope.
2. Facts about Isaac Newton: Laws, Discoveries & Contributions
Sir Isaac Newton was an English physicist whose discoveries have led him to be considered one of the most important and influential scientists in history. This lesson will cover his achievements and discoveries.
3. Charles Darwin: Voyages, Theories & Works
In this lesson we explore the life and voyages of the 19th-century British naturalist Charles Darwin and his formulation of the theory of natural selection.
4. Carolus Linnaeus: Classification, Taxonomy & Contributions to Biology
There are millions of species on Earth. How can we name and organize all of them without getting confused? We use a system developed in the 1700s by Carolus Linnaeus. Learn more about him and his contributions in this lesson.
5. Marie Curie Discoveries
The woman born as Marie Sklodowska would go on to become Marie Curie, one of the most renowned scientists of all time. She won two Nobel prizes--the first to do so--and led the way to a modern understanding of radiation.
6. James Watson: Contributions & Double Helix
This lesson will discuss the life and scientific contributions of James Watson, the American biochemist who was part of the team responsible for the discovery of the structure of the double helix. Once finished, review what you learned with a quiz.
7. Francis Crick: DNA Discoveries, Overview
This lesson will discuss the life and scientific contributions of Francis Crick, a prominent English physicist and biochemist who was part of the team responsible for the discovery of the structure of the DNA molecule.
8. Stephen Hawking: Theory, Biography & Quotes
Stephen Hawking was one of the greatest physicists of our time. His work with cosmology and black holes has led to several new discoveries and theories about the nature of existence. This lesson will cover his life and theories.
9. Who was Albert Einstein? - Theory, Facts & Quotes
Albert Einstein was Time Magazine's Person of the Century in 1999 for many good reasons. This lesson takes a quick look at Einstein's life, works, and his influence on the world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NDA Exam Preparation & Study Guide course
- About the NDA Exam
- Algebra Concepts
- Advanced Algebra Concepts
- Solving Matrices & Determinants
- Trigonometry Concepts
- Geometry & Linear Equations
- Analytic Geometry
- Functions, Limits & Continuity
- Derivative Rules
- Calculations & Applications of Derivatives
- Integral Calculus
- Differential Equations & Applications
- Scalars & Vectors in Algebra
- Visualizing Statistics
- Probability Concepts in Math
- Grammar and Usage
- Improving Reading Comprehension
- Measurements in Physics
- Motion in Physics
- Basics of Work, Power & Energy
- Understanding Heat Transfer
- Sound Waves
- Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- Electric Currents & Power
- Scientific Technology, Machines & Tools
- The Atom & Structure of Elements
- Chemical Properties of Elements & Substances
- Chemical Symbols, Formulas & Reactions
- Qualities of Living Organisms
- Health Science Basics
- Solar System & Eclipses
- Indian History
- Overview of Major World History Events
- World Government Types
- The Earth
- Earth's Oceans, Atmosphere & Climate
- Regional Geography of South Asia
- Modern Day Events in India
- NDA Exam Preparation & Study Guide Flashcards