About This Chapter
Acid-Base Chemistry- Chapter Summary
This chapter can help you refresh your memory or teach you new facts about acid-base chemistry. These lessons allow you to review information such as the pH scale and solutions. Watch these video lessons to study up on:
- Fundamental properties of acidic solutions
- Information about bases and basic solutions
- How to calculate the pH of a solution
- Neutralization process among acids and bases
Following the video lessons in this chapter, you will find self-assessment quizzes that can help evaluate your understanding of these topics. If you miss some quiz questions, you have the opportunity to go back into the lesson to re-review the information. You don't even have to watch the whole video! You can use the timeline feature and skip to areas of the lesson that cover the missed quiz questions.
1. Acidic Solutions: Properties & Examples
Acidic solutions are found everywhere in the natural world and are an important part of our everyday lives. This lesson defines acidic solutions and discusses their fundamental properties. Several examples of acidic solutions from the natural world and industry are also provided.
2. Basic Solutions in Chemistry: Properties & Examples
Basic solutions are very important components of many different chemical reactions. This lesson provides an introduction to bases, basic solutions, and their properties. Several examples of basic solutions in action are also provided.
3. The pH Scale: Calculating the pH of a Solution
Learn the history of the pH scale, how to describe it and why it is used by scientists. Discover how to calculate the pH of an acid or base solutions given either the hydroxide ion concentration or the hydronium ion concentration. Learn how to start with the pH and calculate the hydroxide and hydronium ion concentrations.
4. Neutralization and Acid-Base Reactions
From this lesson, you will understand the neutralization process between acids and bases. Learn how a hydroxide ion from a base reacts with a hydronium ion from an acid to neutralize each other and form water. Discover what conjugate acids and bases are and what the definition of amphoteric is.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Analyzing Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- The Atomic Model, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Solutions & Solubility
- Basic Concepts of Mechanics
- Electricity & Magnetism Concepts
- Waves & Optics
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Earth's Structure & Internal Processes
- Effects of Plate Tectonics
- Historical Geology
- Water Cycle
- Earth's Oceans & Landforms
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate & Seasons
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Middle Grades Science Flashcards