About This Chapter
ACT: About the Test - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to get a brief history of the ACT, and explore its role in the admissions process at colleges in the Midwest as well as on the East and West coasts. You'll also study test structure, so you can go into the exam knowing how much time is allotted for each section. An explanation of section, composite and percentile scores, as well as scores assigned to responses on the writing portion, is included as well. You'll also find out what to bring on test day and get tips for maximizing your performance. Lessons are designed to acquaint you with the following:
- Test history and structure
- Scoring analyses
- Registration processes
- Test day preparation
If you're just getting started with your ACT exam prep, this chapter's entertaining video lessons and self-assessment quizzes allow you to explore test scoring and structure at your own pace. These resources might also prove useful if you're further along in your studies and want to revisit information on acceptable calculators, registration methods or question formatting, among other topics.
ACT: About the Test - Chapter Objectives
While this chapter won't necessarily help you focus on any one area of the ACT, it can arm you with the knowledge needed to map out a study plan and select the right test date. You can also use the lessons to develop test-taking strategies that will help you complete exam sections on time and put your best foot forward on test day.
1. What is the ACT?
In this lesson, you'll learn where the ACT comes from, why it's important, and whether it's the right test for you (including a comparison with the SAT).
2. The ACT Test Structure
Get a bird's-eye view of the ACT test structure, including the timing and question types for each section (including the essay) and how the test is arranged.
3. How Scoring Works with the ACT
It's not just you: ACT scoring is really confusing! Watch this lesson to learn what all those numbers on your score report actually mean and how to interpret them.
4. Registering for the ACT and What to Bring on Test Day
Don't let the little things stand in your way: learn how to register for the ACT online and what you'll need to bring to the test center when test day finally arrives.
5. How to Be Ready for Test Day
Don't let poor preparation on test day undo all the work you did to get ready for the test. In this lesson, you'll learn some strategies for the big day from a master of time management.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- ACT English: Section Overview
- ACT English: Punctuation
- ACT English: Grammar and Usage
- ACT English: Sentence Structure
- ACT English: Parts of an Essay
- ACT English: Rhetorical Strategy
- ACT English: Organization
- ACT English: Style
- ACT Math: Overview
- ACT Math: Number & Quantity
- ACT Math: Pre-Algebra
- ACT Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ACT Math: Radicals
- ACT Math: Linear Equations
- ACT Math: Functions
- ACT Math: Types of Functions
- ACT Math: Absolute Value
- ACT Math: Matrices
- ACT Math: Inequalities
- ACT Math: Probability, Combinations & Factorial
- ACT Math: Data and Statistics
- ACT Math: Exponents
- ACT Math: Polynomials and Quadratics
- ACT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- ACT Math: Sequences
- ACT Math: Complex Numbers
- ACT Math: Exponentials and Logarithms
- ACT Math: Coordinate Geometry
- ACT Math: Conic Sections
- ACT Math: Triangles
- ACT Math: Plane Geometry
- ACT Math: Lines and Angles
- ACT Math: Trigonometry
- ACT Science Reasoning: Overview
- ACT Science Reasoning: Fundamentals of Science
- ACT Science Reasoning: Evaluating Models
- ACT Reading: Overview
- ACT Reading: Question Types
- ACT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- ACT Reading: Word Meanings and Choice
- ACT Reading: Analyzing Reading Passages
- ACT Reading: Practice
- ACT Writing: Overview
- ACT Writing: Essay Skills
- ACT Writing: Planning and Writing
- ACT Writing: Advanced Writing Skills
- ACT Prep Flashcards