About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other ACT English preparation work.
- Identify the grammar and usage concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our ACT Prep Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn grammar and usage and earn acceptable scores. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the parts of speech, subject-verb agreement, how to use idioms and phrasal verbs, sentence agreement, or any other grammar and usage topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their ACT English preparation
- Prefer learning ACT English topics visually
- Find themselves struggling with the grammar and usage portion of the review
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in their ACT English preparation
- Don't have access to ACT English review materials
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning grammar and usage simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live ACT prep tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about grammar and usage review on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Find the subject in a sentence.
- Achieve sentence agreement with atypical singular and plural nouns or pronouns.
- Use the correct verb tense with a subject.
- Recognize and know how to use the different types of pronouns.
- Write idioms and phrasal verbs.
- Avoid faulty collective ownership in writing.
- Differentiate between adjectives and adverbs.
1. How to Identify the Subject of a Sentence
Don't pass over this lesson! You may think you know how to find subjects and verbs in a sentence, but picking them out can be harder than you think. Identifying subjects and verbs is the first step to unlocking nearly everything else about English composition.
2. What is a Verb? - Definition & Conjugation
In this lesson, you'll learn what a verb is and how to conjugate verbs correctly to make your writing more interesting. Take a look at some examples to help you understand verb conjugation.
3. Subject-Verb Agreement: Using Uncommon Singular and Plural Nouns and Pronouns
Subject-verb agreement is a tricky beast. Learn which uncommon singular and plural nouns and pronouns are most likely to trip you up when trying to craft essays with good grammar.
4. Verb Tense & Subject-Verb Agreement
Learn all about verb tense and subject-verb agreement in our first lesson on this tricky topic. We'll look at examples to help you understand this concept.
5. ACT English Practice: Verb Tense and Subject-Verb Agreement
Watch this video lesson to get some practice with two types of verb questions on the ACT English test: verb tense errors and subject-verb disagreement.
6. What Are Personal Pronouns?
Pronouns are great for making sure debaters don't have to keep repeating the other guy's name over and over again, but they have many other uses too! In fact, pronouns, you could say, make reading readable. In part one, we'll cover personal pronouns and how they're used before moving on to more esoteric varieties.
7. Pronouns: Relative, Reflexive, Interrogative & Possessive
In this lesson, we'll look at relative, reflexive, interrogative and possessive pronouns. We'll do this by antagonizing our friend Gary with the whos, whats, whoms, and whichevers that make up these pronouns.
8. Personal Pronouns and Antecedents: Number Agreement
In this lesson, you'll learn how to avoid one of the most common grammatical mistakes in writing by learning how to ensure that all of the antecedents in your writing agree in number with the pronouns that they're matched up with.
9. ACT English Practice: Pronouns
Pronouns are tricky little beasts to master, but once you get in some practice they're not so bad. Work on your pronoun usage skills by walking through some practice questions with explanations.
10. Compound Antecedents: Definition & Examples
You may know already that an antecedent and its pronoun must agree in number. In this lesson, you'll learn about compound antecedents and the various rules involving how they can be made to agree with pronouns.
11. How to Write with Idioms or Phrasal Verbs
In this lesson, you will learn how to identify idioms and phrasal verbs. Once you can recognize these parts of speech, you will be able to use them yourself in your writing.
12. Using Prepositions and Correlatives
It's frustrating to hear 'because I said so,' but sometimes that's just the way it is. In this lesson, you'll learn two areas of grammar where you can't rely on patterns; you'll just have to memorize.
13. Sentence Agreement: Avoiding Faulty Collective Ownership
A common error occurs whenever a writer uses wording that suggests that a lot of people own or use just one thing, when really they all own or use their own separate things. This video will explain how to identify and fix this type of error.
14. Comparison of Adjectives & Adverbs: Examples, Sentences & Exercises
Adjectives and adverbs are descriptive words that allow our sentences to be much more specific and interesting than they would be without them. This lesson covers the rules for using adjectives and adverbs correctly, including those used in comparisons.
15. ACT English Practice: Adjectives, Adverbs and Modifiers
Do you know your adjectives and adverbs pretty good? Hopefully not, because you ought to know them pretty well! In this lesson, we'll review the rules, and then, you'll get a little practice to let it all sink in.
16. Conjunction: Definition & Writing Examples
Why do we need conjunctions? How are they useful in our writing? Read this lesson to unearth the answers to these questions and to discover the conjunction in a whole new way.
17. What Are Suffixes? - Examples & Definition
A suffix is an important part of language found at the end of many words. Suffixes can be the key to figuring out the meaning of a complex word. Let's take a look at suffixes and how they can work to determine a word's meaning or even part of speech.
18. What is Surface Structure? - Definition & Examples
You can do a lot more than just scratch the surface in this lesson on surface structure. Learn more about this feature of a sentence and see it in action with a few examples!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- ACT - About the Test: Tutoring Solution
- ACT English - Section Overview: Tutoring Solution
- ACT English - Punctuation: Tutoring Solution
- ACT English - Sentence Structure: Tutoring Solution
- ACT English - Rhetorical Strategy: Tutoring Solution
- ACT English - Organization: Tutoring Solution
- ACT English - Style: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Overview: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Pre-Algebra: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Algebraic Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Radicals: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Linear Equations: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Functions: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Absolute Value: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Matrices: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Probability: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Data and Statistics: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Polynomials and Quadratics: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Rational Equations: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Sequences: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Complex Numbers: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Exponentials and Logarithms: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Coordinate Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Conic Sections: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Triangles: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Plane Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Logic in Mathematics: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Science Reasoning - Overview: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Science Reasoning - Fundamentals: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Reading - Overview: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Reading - Question Types: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Reading - Understanding Passages: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Reading - Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Reading - Practice: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Writing - Overview: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Writing - Essay Skills: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Writing - Essay Parts: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Writing - Planning: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Writing - Advanced Skills: Tutoring Solution