About This Chapter
ACT Math: Conic Sections - Chapter Summary
Open up this chapter to find several lessons that describe the important details you will need to know for conic section questions on the ACT Math test. Brush up on this geometry topic by watching the lessons and listening to the instructors guide you through the graphing procedures. At the close of this chapter, you should remember more information about the following:
- Constructing ellipses on a graph
- Describing ellipses, hyperbolas, and parabolas using standard form
- Applying the distance formula with circles and conic sections
- Pointing out the foci and vertices of hyperbolas on a graph
- Graphing the points of a parabola
- Using formulas to recognize conic sections
Using this chapter lets you get reacquainted with conic sections, a coordinate geometry topic. One of the best parts about our study materials is how well they accommodate each individual user. Everything is accessible around the clock, because we offer all of our video lessons, text lessons, and assessment tools online, letting you study with any device, from any location, day or night. Besides the convenience, we also give you a lot of choices. If you need to go through every one of our lessons to get ready for the test, you can. If you only want to go over a few topics, you also have that option. As long as it helps you prepare for your test, that's our main goal.
1. Defining and Graphing Ellipses in Algebra
Watch this video lesson to find out what makes ellipses so unique. Learn what kind of shape an ellipse is, how you can create one yourself and how you can graph an ellipse by just looking at the numbers in the equation.
2. How to Write the Equation of an Ellipse in Standard Form
In algebra, we have equations that make our life so much easier. Some equations are able to tell us information without hard math. Watch this video lesson to see how the equation of an ellipse does this.
3. The Circle: Definition, Conic Sections & Distance Formula
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn what makes a circle a conic section. Also learn how to calculate the circumference of a circle. You will learn about the one important measurement that you need for any circle.
4. The Hyperbola: Definition, Vertices, Foci & Graphing
In this video lesson, we'll learn what a hyperbola is and how to graph one using the standard equation to find the center point, vertices and focus points.
5. How to Write the Equation of a Hyperbola in Standard Form
When it comes to equations in algebra, there is most always a standard form that provides us with useful information. Watch this video lesson to learn how to write the standard form equation of a hyperbola by using information about the hyperbola.
6. The Parabola: Definition & Graphing
Watch this video lesson to learn what a parabola is and how you can graph it. Find out how to extract useful information from the standard form equation of a parabola to help you graph it.
7. How to Write the Equation of a Parabola in Standard Form
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to write the equation of a parabola in standard form when given just two important points from the parabola. Learn what these two points are and how they relate to the parabola.
8. How to Identify a Conic Section by Its Formulas
In algebra, we have a formula for everything. Take a cone and slice it and we have a formula for the shape that results. Watch this video lesson to learn how to distinguish between these formulas.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- ACT: About the Test
- ACT English: Section Overview
- ACT English: Punctuation
- ACT English: Grammar and Usage
- ACT English: Sentence Structure
- ACT English: Production of Writing
- ACT English: Style
- ACT Writing: Overview
- ACT Writing: Essay Skills
- ACT Reading: Overview
- ACT Reading: Question Types
- ACT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- ACT Reading: Analyzing Reading Passages
- ACT Reading: Word Meanings and Choice
- ACT Reading: Practice
- ACT Math: Overview
- ACT Math: Number & Quantity
- ACT Math: Pre-Algebra
- ACT Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ACT Math: Radicals
- ACT Math: Linear Equations
- ACT Math: Functions
- ACT Math: Types of Functions
- ACT Math: Absolute Value
- ACT Math: Matrices
- ACT Math: Inequalities
- ACT Math: Probability, Combinations & Factorial
- ACT Math: Data and Statistics
- ACT Math: Exponents
- ACT Math: Polynomials and Quadratics
- ACT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- ACT Math: Sequences
- ACT Math: Complex Numbers
- ACT Math: Exponentials and Logarithms
- ACT Math: Coordinate Geometry
- ACT Math: Triangles
- ACT Math: Plane Geometry
- ACT Math: Lines and Angles
- ACT Math: Trigonometry
- ACT Science Reasoning: Overview
- ACT Science Reasoning: Fundamentals of Science
- ACT Science Reasoning: Evaluating Models
- ACT Prep Flashcards