About This Chapter
ACT Math: Exponents - Chapter Summary
Check out the lessons in this chapter on exponents in your review of algebraic fundamentals for the ACT. Our user-friendly video lessons revisit the following crucial topics:
- Five properties of exponents
- Simplifying expressions with exponents
- Defining zero and negative exponents
- Rational exponents
- Simplifying expressions with rational exponents
After watching the video lessons, make sure that you work your way through the quizzes to see how you're doing. Go back to any concepts that still need more work. Your success on the math portion of the ACT may determine your placement in college-level courses.
ACT Math Objectives
Test questions concerning algebraic concepts make up 55% of the ACT math exam. The test addresses many of these topic areas:
- Properties of square roots and exponents
- Substitution for evaluation of algebraic expressions
- Expressing functional relationships using variables
- Understanding algebraic operations
- Rational and radical expressions
- Sequences and patterns
- Systems of equations
You'll have an hour to complete 60 multiple-choice questions within the math portion of the ACT, demonstrating your logic skills in solving math problems. All the problems are solvable with paper and pencil, and the test booklets have a space for you to write out your calculations. You may use approved models of calculators, however. Check with the ACT students' site for details. Your results will include an overall score, in addition to sub-scores for pre-algebra/elementary algebra, intermediate algebra/coordinate geometry and plane geometry/trigonometry.
Our video lessons will assist your review. Begin with the properties of exponents and then go over simplifying expressions and rational exponents. Take the self-assessment quizzes to find out if any areas still need more attention.
1. What Are the Five Main Exponent Properties?
We'll look at the five important exponent properties and an example of each. You can think of them as the order of operations for exponents. Learn how to handle math problems with exponents here!
2. How to Simplify Expressions with Exponents
In this video, we will put all of the exponent properties we have learned together. Don't let lots of numbers and letters confuse you! Simplifying exponents can be easy and fun!
3. How to Define a Zero and Negative Exponent
The zero and negative exponent properties are two you will use quite a lot in mathematics. The negative exponent property can be confusing, but when you remember a couple fun ideas, you will get it right every time!
4. Rational Exponents
In this video, learn how to go from a rational exponent to a radical expression and back. No tricks or magic, just good math! We'll review the basics and look at a few examples.
5. Simplifying Expressions with Rational Exponents
Simplifying expressions with rational exponents is so easy. In fact, you already know how to do it! We simply use the exponent properties but with fractions as the exponent!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- ACT: About the Test
- ACT English: Section Overview
- ACT English: Punctuation
- ACT English: Grammar and Usage
- ACT English: Sentence Structure
- ACT English: Rhetorical Strategy
- ACT English: Organization
- ACT English: Style
- ACT Math: Overview
- ACT Math: Pre-Algebra
- ACT Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ACT Math: Radicals
- ACT Math: Linear Equations
- ACT Math: Functions
- ACT Math: Absolute Value
- ACT Math: Matrices
- ACT Math: Inequalities
- ACT Math: Probability, Combinations & Factorial
- ACT Math: Data and Statistics
- ACT Math: Polynomials and Quadratics
- ACT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- ACT Math: Sequences
- ACT Math: Complex Numbers
- ACT Math: Exponentials and Logarithms
- ACT Math: Coordinate Geometry
- ACT Math: Conic Sections
- ACT Math: Triangles
- ACT Math: Plane Geometry
- ACT Math: Logic in Mathematics
- ACT Math: Trigonometry
- ACT Science Reasoning: Overview
- ACT Science Reasoning: Fundamentals of Science
- ACT Reading: Overview
- ACT Reading: Question Types
- ACT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- ACT Reading: Literary Terms
- ACT Reading: Practice
- ACT Writing: Overview
- ACT Writing: Essay Skills
- ACT Writing: Parts of an Essay
- ACT Writing: Planning and Writing
- ACT Writing: Advanced Writing Skills