About This Chapter
ACT Math: Lines and Angles - Chapter Summary
The ACT Math section contains several questions concerning lines and angles in geometry. If you need to get ready for the ACT, work through these fun video lessons to refresh your knowledge of basic line and angle topics. You can expect to study vertical angles, parallel lines, line segments, rays and much more. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Analyze geometric points, lines and angles
- Compare angle types
- Use angle relationships to solve equations
- Recognize perpendicular, parallel and transverse lines
- Measure rays and line segments
- Describe the line of symmetry in a geometric shapes
Try the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to sharpen your geometry skills and improve your ability to solve problems involving angles and lines. You can use the Ask the Expert feature if you have any questions about these geometry concepts. The chapter also includes transcripts that you can print out to study offline.
1. Points, Lines & Angles in Geometry
After watching this video lesson, you should understand the basic terms that form the foundation of geometry. Learn what a point is, what a line is, what an angle is, and learn about a special type of angle called a right angle.
2. Types of Angles: Vertical, Corresponding, Alternate Interior & Others
In addition to basic right, acute, or obtuse angles, there are many other types of angles or angle relationships. In this lesson, we will learn to identify these angle relationships and discuss their measurements.
3. Solving Equations With Angle Relationships
In this lesson, we explore how to find unknown variables in geometric figures. Using examples, we will show how angle relationships work with algebra to provide solutions.
4. Parallel, Perpendicular and Transverse Lines
What are the different types of lines? Where are they visible in the real world and how can you recognize them? Find out here and test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. What is a Line Segment in Geometry? - Definition, Formula & Example
Line segments are essential elements to many geometric concepts. In this lesson you will explore line segments in geometry, learn the formula for finding the length of a line segment, review what you've learned with some examples, and test your understanding with a short quiz.
6. Line Segments & Rays: Definition & Measurement
Watch this video lesson to learn the difference between a line segment and a ray. You will also learn how to measure and add line segments. Learn why you can't measure or add a ray.
7. What is a Line of Symmetry in Geometric Shapes?
After viewing this lesson, you should be able to identify shapes that have a line of symmetry in them and know how to find where this line is. A short quiz to test your knowledge will follow the lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- ACT: About the Test
- ACT English: Section Overview
- ACT English: Punctuation
- ACT English: Grammar and Usage
- ACT English: Sentence Structure
- ACT English: Parts of an Essay
- ACT English: Rhetorical Strategy
- ACT English: Organization
- ACT English: Style
- ACT Math: Overview
- ACT Math: Number & Quantity
- ACT Math: Pre-Algebra
- ACT Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ACT Math: Radicals
- ACT Math: Linear Equations
- ACT Math: Functions
- ACT Math: Types of Functions
- ACT Math: Absolute Value
- ACT Math: Matrices
- ACT Math: Inequalities
- ACT Math: Probability, Combinations & Factorial
- ACT Math: Data and Statistics
- ACT Math: Exponents
- ACT Math: Polynomials and Quadratics
- ACT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- ACT Math: Sequences
- ACT Math: Complex Numbers
- ACT Math: Exponentials and Logarithms
- ACT Math: Coordinate Geometry
- ACT Math: Conic Sections
- ACT Math: Triangles
- ACT Math: Plane Geometry
- ACT Math: Trigonometry
- ACT Science Reasoning: Overview
- ACT Science Reasoning: Fundamentals of Science
- ACT Science Reasoning: Evaluating Models
- ACT Reading: Overview
- ACT Reading: Question Types
- ACT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- ACT Reading: Word Meanings and Choice
- ACT Reading: Analyzing Reading Passages
- ACT Reading: Practice
- ACT Writing: Overview
- ACT Writing: Essay Skills
- ACT Writing: Planning and Writing
- ACT Writing: Advanced Writing Skills
- ACT Prep Flashcards