About This Chapter
ACT Math: Logic in Mathematics - Chapter Summary
These lessons will get you ready to answer questions about logic in mathematics on the ACT Math exam. Study this chapter and you'll be able to review:
- Critical thinking skills
- Conditional statements
- Direct and geometric proofs
Each lesson in this chapter was shaped by an expert in the field of mathematics. You can watch the videos and view our transcripts to ensure you understand how logic is applied in these areas. Assess your knowledge after each lesson by completing our interactive quizzes.
1. Critical Thinking and Logic in Mathematics
Logic has its own unique language and way of defining what is true and false. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can critically think in the language of logic while working with math.
2. Conditional Statements in Math
Sometimes, what is true in the mathematical world of logic is false in the real world. Check out this lesson to learn how to identify conditional statements and how you can differentiate between what is logically true and what is true in reality.
3. Direct Proofs: Definition and Applications
In math, we can't explain that something is true just because. That's not enough. In this lesson, we'll learn to prove things using one of our most straightforward tools, the direct proof.
4. Geometric Proofs: Definition and Format
Do you have something to prove? Can you explain why? In this lesson, we'll learn all about geometric proofs, including the parts that comprise a proof.
Flashcards - About the Accuplacer Arithmetic Test
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Math Prep: Review & Practice course
- ACT Math: Overview
- ACT Math: Number & Quantity
- ACT Math: Pre-Algebra
- ACT Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ACT Math: Radicals
- ACT Math: Linear Equations
- ACT Math: Functions
- ACT Math: Types of Functions
- ACT Math: Absolute Value
- ACT Math: Matrices
- ACT Math: Inequalities
- ACT Math: Probability, Combinations & Factorial
- ACT Math: Data and Statistics
- ACT Math: Exponents
- ACT Math: Polynomials and Quadratics
- ACT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- ACT Math: Sequences
- ACT Math: Complex Numbers
- ACT Math: Exponentials and Logarithms
- ACT Math: Coordinate Geometry
- ACT Math: Conic Sections
- ACT Math: Triangles
- ACT Math: Plane Geometry
- ACT Math: Lines and Angles
- ACT Math: Trigonometry
- ACT Math Prep Flashcards