About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering ACT preparation material will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better ACT scores. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding the FOIL and area methods
- Need an efficient way to learn about polynomials and quadratics
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers
- Missed class time and need to catch up
- Can't access extra ACT review resources at school
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the ACT Math - Polynomials and Quadratics chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the ACT Math - Polynomials and Quadratics chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any polynomials or quadratics question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answer to questions including:
- How can I multiply binomials using FOIL and the area method?
- How do I factor quadratic equations?
- What is the process for solving quadratics that aren't in standard form?
- How do I complete the square?
- How can I use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations?
1. How to Evaluate a Polynomial in Function Notation
This lesson will review how to evaluate polynomials in function notation. Along with an analogy to explain the process, examples will be given and worked during the lesson.
2. Understanding Basic Polynomial Graphs
This lesson will cover understanding basic polynomial graphs. The lesson focuses on how exponents and leading coefficients alter the behavior of the graphs.
3. Basic Transformations of Polynomial Graphs
The basic transformations for a graph are movement up and down, left and right, pinched or stretched graphs, and flipped graphs. This lesson will review how to accomplish each of these transformations.
4. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Polynomials
Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials are, basically, the same as adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers. They only difference is that we have a pesky variable to worry about, but this video will show you that's no problem, so no worries! This method has worked for many of my students, and I think it will work for you, too!
5. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL and the Area Method
From the distributive property, to FOIL, to the area model, to happy faces and claws, there are many different ways to learn how to multiply binomials. In this lesson, you'll learn how to use all of them and get to pick which one you like the most.
6. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL & the Area Method: Practice Problems
There are a few mistakes that are easy to make when multiplying binomials with FOIL and also a few ways to complicate problems like this, so why not make sure you're brushed up on your skills? You'll also learn a shortcut and how to use the area method to multiply even bigger polynomials.
7. Factoring Quadratic Equations: Polynomial Problems with a Non-1 Leading Coefficient
Once you get good at factoring quadratics with 1x squared in the front of the expression, it's time to try ones with numbers other than 1. It will be the same general idea, but there are a few extra steps to learn. Do that here!
8. How to Factor Quadratic Equations: FOIL in Reverse
So, you know how to multiply binomials with the FOIL method, but can you do it backwards? That's exactly what factoring is, and it can be pretty tricky. Check out this lesson to learn a method that will allow you to factor quadratic trinomials with a leading coefficient of 1.
9. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
When solving a quadratic equation by factoring doesn't work, the quadratic formula is here to save the day. Learn what it is and how to use it in this lesson.
10. How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form
It isn't always the case that your equation will be set up nicely for you to solve. In this lesson, learn how to factor or use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations, even when they are not in standard form.
11. How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring
If your favorite video game, 'Furious Fowls,' gave you the quadratic equation for each shot you made, would you be able to solve the equation to make sure every one hit its target? If not, you will after watching this video!
12. How to Complete the Square
Completing the square can help you learn where the maximum or minimum of a parabola is. If you're running a business and trying to make some money, it might be a good idea to know how to do this! Find out what I'm talking about here.
13. Completing the Square Practice Problems
Completing the square is one of the most confusing things you'll be asked to do in an algebra class. Once you get the general idea, it's best to get in there and actually do a few practice problems to make sure you understand the process. Do that here!
14. Solving Quadratic Inequalities Using Two Binomials
Watch this video lesson to learn what simple steps you can take to solve quadratic inequalities using two binomials. See how it only requires a few steps to solve quadratic inequalities using this method.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Prep: Help and Review course
- ACT - About the Test: Help and Review
- ACT English - Section Overview: Help and Review
- ACT English - Punctuation: Help and Review
- ACT English - Grammar and Usage: Help and Review
- ACT English - Sentence Structure: Help and Review
- ACT English - Rhetorical Strategy: Help and Review
- ACT English - Organization: Help and Review
- ACT English - Style: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Overview: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Pre-Algebra: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Algebraic Expressions: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Radicals: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Linear Equations: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Functions: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Absolute Value: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Matrices: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Inequalities: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Probability: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Data and Statistics: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Exponents: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Rational Equations: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Sequences: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Complex Numbers: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Exponentials and Logarithms: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Coordinate Geometry: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Conic Sections: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Triangles: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Plane Geometry: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Logic in Mathematics: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Trigonometry: Help and Review
- ACT Science Reasoning - Overview: Help and Review
- ACT Science Reasoning - Fundamentals: Help and Review
- ACT Reading - Overview: Help and Review
- ACT Reading - Question Types: Help and Review
- ACT Reading - Understanding Passages: Help and Review
- ACT Reading - Literary Terms: Help and Review
- ACT Reading - Practice: Help and Review
- ACT Writing - Overview: Help and Review
- ACT Writing - Essay Skills: Help and Review
- ACT Writing - Essay Parts: Help and Review
- ACT Writing - Planning: Help and Review
- ACT Writing - Advanced Skills: Help and Review