About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your review or other ACT math preparation work.
- Identify the polynomials and quadratics concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our ACT prep tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about polynomials and quadratics and earn acceptable scores. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding how to add, subtract, and multiply polynomials; how to factor quadratic equations; or any other polynomials and quadratics topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their ACT preparation
- Prefer learning ACT topics visually
- Find themselves struggling with the polynomials and quadratics portion of the review
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in their ACT preparation
- Don't have access to ACT review materials
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about polynomials and quadratics simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live ACT prep tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Complete your polynomials and quadratics review on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Review how to add, subtract and multiply polynomials.
- Learn to multiply binomials using FOIL and the area method.
- Find out how to factor quadratic equations.
- Learn to use the quadratic formula to solve a quadratic equation.
- Find out how to solve quadratics that aren't in standard form.
- Review how to solve a quadratic equation by factoring.
- Learn to complete the square.
1. How to Evaluate a Polynomial in Function Notation
This lesson will review how to evaluate polynomials in function notation. Along with an analogy to explain the process, examples will be given and worked during the lesson.
2. Understanding Basic Polynomial Graphs
This lesson will cover understanding basic polynomial graphs. The lesson focuses on how exponents and leading coefficients alter the behavior of the graphs.
3. Basic Transformations of Polynomial Graphs
The basic transformations for a graph are movement up and down, left and right, pinched or stretched graphs, and flipped graphs. This lesson will review how to accomplish each of these transformations.
4. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Polynomials
Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials are, basically, the same as adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers. They only difference is that we have a pesky variable to worry about, but this video will show you that's no problem, so no worries! This method has worked for many of my students, and I think it will work for you, too!
5. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL and the Area Method
From the distributive property, to FOIL, to the area model, to happy faces and claws, there are many different ways to learn how to multiply binomials. In this lesson, you'll learn how to use all of them and get to pick which one you like the most.
6. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL & the Area Method: Practice Problems
There are a few mistakes that are easy to make when multiplying binomials with FOIL and also a few ways to complicate problems like this, so why not make sure you're brushed up on your skills? You'll also learn a shortcut and how to use the area method to multiply even bigger polynomials.
7. Factoring Quadratic Equations: Polynomial Problems with a Non-1 Leading Coefficient
Once you get good at factoring quadratics with 1x squared in the front of the expression, it's time to try ones with numbers other than 1. It will be the same general idea, but there are a few extra steps to learn. Do that here!
8. How to Factor Quadratic Equations: FOIL in Reverse
So, you know how to multiply binomials with the FOIL method, but can you do it backwards? That's exactly what factoring is, and it can be pretty tricky. Check out this lesson to learn a method that will allow you to factor quadratic trinomials with a leading coefficient of 1.
9. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
When solving a quadratic equation by factoring doesn't work, the quadratic formula is here to save the day. Learn what it is and how to use it in this lesson.
10. How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form
It isn't always the case that your equation will be set up nicely for you to solve. In this lesson, learn how to factor or use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations, even when they are not in standard form.
11. How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring
If your favorite video game, 'Furious Fowls,' gave you the quadratic equation for each shot you made, would you be able to solve the equation to make sure every one hit its target? If not, you will after watching this video!
12. How to Complete the Square
Completing the square can help you learn where the maximum or minimum of a parabola is. If you're running a business and trying to make some money, it might be a good idea to know how to do this! Find out what I'm talking about here.
13. Completing the Square Practice Problems
Completing the square is one of the most confusing things you'll be asked to do in an algebra class. Once you get the general idea, it's best to get in there and actually do a few practice problems to make sure you understand the process. Do that here!
14. Solving Quadratic Inequalities Using Two Binomials
Watch this video lesson to learn what simple steps you can take to solve quadratic inequalities using two binomials. See how it only requires a few steps to solve quadratic inequalities using this method.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- ACT - About the Test: Tutoring Solution
- ACT English - Section Overview: Tutoring Solution
- ACT English - Punctuation: Tutoring Solution
- ACT English - Grammar and Usage: Tutoring Solution
- ACT English - Sentence Structure: Tutoring Solution
- ACT English - Rhetorical Strategy: Tutoring Solution
- ACT English - Organization: Tutoring Solution
- ACT English - Style: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Overview: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Pre-Algebra: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Algebraic Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Radicals: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Linear Equations: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Functions: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Absolute Value: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Matrices: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Probability: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Data and Statistics: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Rational Equations: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Sequences: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Complex Numbers: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Exponentials and Logarithms: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Coordinate Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Conic Sections: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Triangles: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Plane Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Logic in Mathematics: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Math - Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Science Reasoning - Overview: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Science Reasoning - Fundamentals: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Reading - Overview: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Reading - Question Types: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Reading - Understanding Passages: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Reading - Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Reading - Practice: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Writing - Overview: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Writing - Essay Skills: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Writing - Essay Parts: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Writing - Planning: Tutoring Solution
- ACT Writing - Advanced Skills: Tutoring Solution