About This Chapter
ACT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
The fun and engaging video lessons in this chapter address crucial algebraic concepts. Review the following topics to get ready for the math portion of the ACT:
- Solving rational equations
- Adding and subtracting rational expressions
- Multiplying and dividing rational expressions
Work your way through the video lessons and complete the corresponding exercises for more practice. After you take the quick quizzes, you'll know of any areas that still need more attention.
ACT Math Objectives
The algebra section of your math ACT comprises 55% of the questions. You'll complete problems based on an understanding of pre-algebra and elementary algebra concepts, in addition to the following intermediate algebra topics:
- Quadratic formula
- Rational and radical expressions
- Absolute value equations and inequalities
- Patterns and sequences
- Systems of equations
- Quadratic inequalities
Of the 60 multiple-choice questions, 15% test your understanding of those intermediate algebra concepts. You'll have 60 minutes to choose the correct answers for the math problems, and you may perform your calculations with paper and pencil, or by using an approved model of calculator.
Your review of rational equations and expressions with our video lessons will guide you towards success, especially if you take advantage of the practice exercises and quizzes for immediate feedback.
The math results that you'll receive back from ACT will include a general math score on all the questions, in addition to three sub-scores for combinations of individual areas.
1. Rational Equations: Practice Problems
Mario and Bill own a local carwash and have several complex tasks that they must use rational equations to solve for an answer. Enjoy learning how they solve these equations to help them with some of their day-to-day tasks.
2. How to Add and Subtract Rational Expressions
Adding and subtracting rational expressions brings everything you learned about fractions into the world of algebra. We will mix common denominators with factoring and FOILing.
3. Practice Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions
Adding and subtracting rational expressions can feel daunting, especially when trying to find a common denominator. Let me show you the process I like to use. I think it will make adding and subtracting rational expressions more enjoyable!
4. Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions: Practice Problems
Let's continue looking at multiplying and dividing rational polynomials. In this lesson, we will look at a couple longer problems, while giving you some practice multiplying and dividing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- ACT: About the Test
- ACT English: Section Overview
- ACT English: Punctuation
- ACT English: Grammar and Usage
- ACT English: Sentence Structure
- ACT English: Production of Writing
- ACT English: Style
- ACT Writing: Overview
- ACT Writing: Essay Skills
- ACT Reading: Overview
- ACT Reading: Question Types
- ACT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- ACT Reading: Analyzing Reading Passages
- ACT Reading: Word Meanings and Choice
- ACT Reading: Practice
- ACT Math: Overview
- ACT Math: Number & Quantity
- ACT Math: Pre-Algebra
- ACT Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ACT Math: Radicals
- ACT Math: Linear Equations
- ACT Math: Functions
- ACT Math: Types of Functions
- ACT Math: Absolute Value
- ACT Math: Matrices
- ACT Math: Inequalities
- ACT Math: Probability, Combinations & Factorial
- ACT Math: Data and Statistics
- ACT Math: Exponents
- ACT Math: Polynomials and Quadratics
- ACT Math: Sequences
- ACT Math: Complex Numbers
- ACT Math: Exponentials and Logarithms
- ACT Math: Coordinate Geometry
- ACT Math: Conic Sections
- ACT Math: Triangles
- ACT Math: Plane Geometry
- ACT Math: Lines and Angles
- ACT Math: Trigonometry
- ACT Science Reasoning: Overview
- ACT Science Reasoning: Fundamentals of Science
- ACT Science Reasoning: Evaluating Models
- ACT Prep Flashcards