About This Chapter
ACT Reading: Overview - Chapter Summary
The ACT reading test assesses your ability to comprehend different types of reading passages. Some readers naturally find certain types of reading selections easier to understand than others will. Find out what to expect in all four types of reading passages contained in the ACT reading test:
- Prose Fiction
- Social Studies
- Natural Sciences
This chapter contains reading strategy hints to help you sharpen your comprehension skills for each of the four types of passages. The lessons provide an overview of the basic structure of the test and practice in answering multiple-choice questions. The topics are organized in short video lessons that will help you pass the reading portion of the ACT test.
ACT Reading Objectives
The ACT college-entry assessment determines your readiness to accomplish first-year college coursework. The reading portion of the ACT test measures your reading comprehension through a 35-minute, 40-question exam. Our reading lessons cover important objectives from the ACT test:
- Derive meaning from four types of reading selections
- Determine main ideas
- Use reasoning to find implied meanings
- Locate and interpret important details
- Make conclusions, generalizations and comparisons
- Analyze narrator's or author's voice
Each of the four types of reading is devoted to 25% of the ACT reading test. Multiple-choice questions follow the reading passages. You will have three scores reported for the reading test: a sub-score based on social studies/natural sciences, a sub-score based on prose fiction/humanities and a total score based on all 40 of the questions.
1. ACT Reading: Types of Passages
Wondering what kinds of passages you'll have to tackle on the ACT Reading test? Getting familiar with the passages can help boost your score and save you a lot of pain: here's an overview.
2. ACT Reading: Strategy
Watch this video to get some tips and tricks for a high score on the ACT reading test, including time-saving ways to approach the passages and strategies for managing the questions.
3. Structure of the ACT Reading Section
Learn how the ACT Reading test is set up, what the questions are like, and how the scoring works, so you can approach it without fear and tackle the passages confidently.
4. Get the Gist of an Essay & Improve Reading Comprehension
In this lesson, we learn quick rules of getting the 'gist' or point of a sentence, paragraph and essay. This skill will improve your reading speed and help you become a more effective and efficient reader and writer.
5. How to Answer Multiple Choice Questions About Literature: Test-Taking Strategies
In this lesson, we will examine test taking strategies involved in answering multiple-choice questions about literature. Breaking the process down into manageable parts, we will take a look at the literary text, the question itself, and then the given choices.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- ACT: About the Test
- ACT English: Section Overview
- ACT English: Punctuation
- ACT English: Grammar and Usage
- ACT English: Sentence Structure
- ACT English: Rhetorical Strategy
- ACT English: Organization
- ACT English: Style
- ACT Math: Overview
- ACT Math: Pre-Algebra
- ACT Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ACT Math: Radicals
- ACT Math: Linear Equations
- ACT Math: Functions
- ACT Math: Absolute Value
- ACT Math: Matrices
- ACT Math: Inequalities
- ACT Math: Probability, Combinations & Factorial
- ACT Math: Data and Statistics
- ACT Math: Exponents
- ACT Math: Polynomials and Quadratics
- ACT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- ACT Math: Sequences
- ACT Math: Complex Numbers
- ACT Math: Exponentials and Logarithms
- ACT Math: Coordinate Geometry
- ACT Math: Conic Sections
- ACT Math: Triangles
- ACT Math: Plane Geometry
- ACT Math: Logic in Mathematics
- ACT Math: Trigonometry
- ACT Science Reasoning: Overview
- ACT Science Reasoning: Fundamentals of Science
- ACT Reading: Question Types
- ACT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- ACT Reading: Literary Terms
- ACT Reading: Practice
- ACT Writing: Overview
- ACT Writing: Essay Skills
- ACT Writing: Parts of an Essay
- ACT Writing: Planning and Writing
- ACT Writing: Advanced Writing Skills