About This Chapter
ACT Reading - Chapter Summary
Hone your reading comprehension skills with our ACT practice and review lessons. The lessons in this chapter help you prepare for the reading portion of the ACT exam. You'll be able to practice reading and analyzing passages in subjects such as:
- Prose fiction
- Social science
- Natural science
Each of these short video lessons will include questions to test your understanding of the different passage types. Instructors show you the best way to read a passage in order to answer the questions related to the content. You can use this chapter to help you understand the format and types of questions you'll encounter in the reading portion of the ACT exam.
ACT Reading Objectives
The ACT reading test is designed to test your reading comprehension abilities. The 4-section test includes a reading section that presents you with passages that you might find in a typical first-year college course. Each of these passages are followed by a series of multiple-choice questions. These questions test your ability to understand written materials in a range of subjects and simulate the breadth of material you may need to study in your first year of college. This portion of the test contains 40 questions and allows for 35 minutes to complete them. Our lessons cover all the topics typically found in the reading test passages of the ACT exam.
1. ACT Reading: Practice with Prose Fiction
Don't be afraid of prose fiction passages on the ACT: they aren't any more difficult than any of the other types! Watch this lesson to get some practice answering questions on them.
2. ACT Reading: Practice with Social Studies
Are you ready for the Social Studies reading passages on the ACT? They're tricky enough that you probably don't want to wing it. Here are some practice questions to help you get there.
3. ACT Reading: Practice with Humanities
'Humanities' is such a vague name: learn what you'll be getting on this part of the ACT reading test and get some practice tackling it. We'll walk you through three practice questions with explanations.
4. ACT Reading: Practice with Natural Science
You don't have to know anything about science to ace the natural sciences reading passages on the ACT - in this lesson, you'll walk through three practice questions with explanations to see how it's done.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- ACT: About the Test
- ACT English: Section Overview
- ACT English: Punctuation
- ACT English: Grammar and Usage
- ACT English: Sentence Structure
- ACT English: Rhetorical Strategy
- ACT English: Organization
- ACT English: Style
- ACT Math: Overview
- ACT Math: Pre-Algebra
- ACT Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ACT Math: Radicals
- ACT Math: Linear Equations
- ACT Math: Functions
- ACT Math: Absolute Value
- ACT Math: Matrices
- ACT Math: Inequalities
- ACT Math: Probability, Combinations & Factorial
- ACT Math: Data and Statistics
- ACT Math: Exponents
- ACT Math: Polynomials and Quadratics
- ACT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- ACT Math: Sequences
- ACT Math: Complex Numbers
- ACT Math: Exponentials and Logarithms
- ACT Math: Coordinate Geometry
- ACT Math: Conic Sections
- ACT Math: Triangles
- ACT Math: Plane Geometry
- ACT Math: Logic in Mathematics
- ACT Math: Trigonometry
- ACT Science Reasoning: Overview
- ACT Science Reasoning: Fundamentals of Science
- ACT Reading: Overview
- ACT Reading: Question Types
- ACT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- ACT Reading: Literary Terms
- ACT Writing: Overview
- ACT Writing: Essay Skills
- ACT Writing: Parts of an Essay
- ACT Writing: Planning and Writing
- ACT Writing: Advanced Writing Skills