About This Chapter
Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies - Chapter Summary
Study acute coronary syndromes and cardiovascular emergencies at your convenience by exploring this self-paced chapter. Brush up on your knowledge of acute heart attacks, ischemia, cardiogenic shock and more in a secure online environment. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Differentiate between angina and myocardial infarction
- Define unstable angina
- Compare and contrast a heart attack and acute heart attack
- Share the definition, causes and symptoms of ischemia
- Discuss the causes, diagnosis and treatment of papillary muscle rupture
- Explain the causes, symptoms and treatment of cardiogenic shock and hypertensive crisis
Sidestep the scheduling challenges associated with taking traditional classes or working with live tutors by utilizing our flexible chapter. All resources are accessible around-the-clock, enabling you to boost your knowledge of acute coronary syndromes and cardiovascular emergencies during preferred timeframes. While studying the lessons, be sure to check your understanding of their contents by taking accompanying quizzes. If you have questions about topics covered in this chapter, don't hesitate to submit them to our experts via the Dashboard.
1. Angina vs. Myocardial Infarction
The heart is the pump of the body and is essential for life. Unfortunately the pump can be damaged. In this lesson we will learn about angina and myocardial infarctions.
2. What is Unstable Angina?
This lesson will define unstable angina and some of the possible causes. We will also explore some of the common symptoms associated and review some of the more common up-to-date treatments.
3. What is an Acute Heart Attack?
Are you having a heart attack or an acute heart attack? Is there even a difference? This lesson goes over the terminology and basic pathophysiology of an acute heart attack.
4. What Is Ischemia? - Definition, Causes & Symptoms
This lesson defines the concept of ischemia. Then you'll learn the major reasons for why it might occur and the signs and symptoms of various different forms of ischemia.
5. Papillary Muscle Rupture: Causes, Diagnosis & Treatment
In this lesson we will discuss the papillary muscle. We will specifically look at causes and diagnosis of ruptures to these important structures within the heart and cover some common treatment options.
6. Cardiogenic Shock: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
In this lesson, we will take a look at something known as shock, define it, and look at a particular form of it known as cardiogenic shock. We'll discuss what may trigger it, what it does to the body, how the body tries to compensate for it, and how it may be treated.
7. Hypertensive Crisis: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Did you know that there are two types of hypertensive crises? Learn more about hypertensive crisis, its causes, symptoms, and treatment. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing