About This Chapter
Acute Respiratory Conditions - Chapter Summary
Studying the engaging lessons in this chapter makes it easy to improve your understanding of acute respiratory conditions. With help from top instructors, you can gain full comprehension of respiratory depression, pneumonia, air-leak syndromes, acute respiratory failure and more. When finished with this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define a pulmonary embolism and explain why it occurs
- Explain the causes, symptoms and treatment of acute respiratory distress syndrome
- Discuss the diagnosis and treatment of acute lung injury
- Share the causes, symptoms and treatment of upper respiratory tract infection (URI)
- Describe the diagnosis, treatments and latency of tuberculosis
- Outline complications and discuss the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary aspiration
- Provide the definition, causes, symptoms and treatment of pulmonary edema
- Detail the diagnosis and treatment of status asthmaticus
If you have a busy schedule and are concerned that you won't have time to study this chapter, don't worry! All lessons and additional resources are accessible 24/7 via any computer, smartphone or tablet. Study whenever and wherever you have time. To speed up the studying process, quickly gauge your knowledge of the lessons using our short quizzes and practice exam. Any questions you have about specific topics covered in this chapter can be submitted to our experts via the Dashboard.
1. Pulmonary Embolism: What is it and Why Does it Occur?
This lesson will discuss a condition known as deep vein thrombosis, including the three main reasons for its formation, as well as its very famous and deadly complication: a pulmonary embolism.
2. Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: Definition & Causes
Inhaling too much water when nearly drowning is one way to cause fluid to buildup in your lungs. Can you think of any other ways from internal or external causes? Find out about many other ways as you learn about acute respiratory distress.
3. Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: Symptoms & Treatment
Acute respiratory distress syndrome is an extremely dangerous condition. Death can be avoided if signs and symptoms are recognized and the person is treated immediately. Find out what to look for and how this condition is treated.
4. Acute Lung Injury (ALI): Diagnosis & Treatment
An acute lung injury is a condition in which the lungs are not able to provide the body with sufficient amounts of oxygen. Continue reading to learn all about the diagnosis and treatment of acute lung injuries.
5. Acute Respiratory Failure: Diagnosis & Treatment
In this lesson, we will discuss the condition known as acute respiratory failure. We will also look at how this condition is diagnosed and cover a few common treatment options.
6. Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (URI): Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Upper respiratory tract infections (URIs) are one of the most common conditions seen by primary care providers. Learn more about the causes, signs and symptoms, and the treatment of this common condition. Complete a quiz to evaluate your understanding.
7. What Is Pneumonia? - Definition, Types, Symptoms & Treatment
Pneumonia is a serious lung infection that can affect anyone. Read this lesson to learn more about the different types of pneumonia, the symptoms associated with each, and how the infection is treated.
8. Tuberculosis: Diagnosis, Treatments & Latency
This lesson will discuss the disease known as tuberculosis. We will talk about mycobacterium tuberculosis, latent TB, TB disease, mycolic acid, and the symptoms, signs, and treatments used for this terrible disease.
9. Respiratory Depression: Causes Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson will briefly discuss what happens during normal breathing and will compare that to what happens during respiratory depression. It will also touch on the definition, causes, symptoms and treatment of respiratory depression.
10. Air-Leak Syndromes: Types, Diagnosis & Treatment
Air-leak syndromes are a collection of problems that occur when air is present outside the normal lung tissue. In this lesson you will learn about the different types of air-leak syndromes, how this condition is diagnosed, and what are some possible treatment options.
11. Pulmonary Aspiration: Diagnosis, Complications & Treatment
Have you ever had something 'go down the wrong tube?' When that truly happens, it leads to pulmonary aspiration. In this lesson, we will learn about the diagnosis, complications, and treatment for pulmonary aspiration.
12. What Is Pulmonary Edema? - Definition, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Pulmonary edema severely impacts the lives of those suffering from it. This lesson will define pulmonary edema, what causes it, symptoms, and how to treat it to assist in your understanding of pulmonary edema.
13. Status Asthmaticus: Diagnosis & Treatment
Status asthmaticus can quickly become a medical emergency and cause severe breathing problems. In this lesson, we will discuss the diagnosis and treatment of status asthmaticus.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing