About This Chapter
Adaptation & Regulation in Living Things- Chapter Summary
These video and text lessons provide an engaging tool for students who want to learn more about adaptation and regulation. The lessons cover topics such as natural selection, biomimicry and osmoregulation. You'll learn the causes and treatment options for an overactive thyroid gland and see how diabetes impacts homeostasis of blood glucose levels. This chapter's lessons will enable you to:
- Explore how natural selection affects adaptations to the environment
- Provide examples of successful adaptations
- Review the importance of the regulation of factors for a constant internal environment
- Understand how the body communicates to make homeostasis possible
- Discuss the challenges of osmoregulation
- Recall how homeostasis is affected by diabetes
- Explore the signs of hyperthyroidism
After reviewing the lessons in this chapter, you should feel more comfortable with these biology topics. You can also take the lesson quizzes to find out how well you retained the information in the lessons. There is also a chapter test that covers everything in the chapter. These tests link back to the lesson, making it simple to review topics you may have had trouble with.
1. Natural Selection & Adaptation: Definition, Theory & Examples
How does natural selection help shape the amazing types of animals we witness around us? In this lesson, we'll explore adaptations and what they can tell us about a species' past evolution.
2. Homeostasis in the Human Body
Homeostasis is the term we use to describe the reasonably stable internal environment of your body. Learn how parts of your body communicate with each other to maintain this state of homeostasis, and how negative feedback loops work.
3. Osmoregulation: Definition, Challenges & Energetics
Cells need a certain balance of water and solutes to survive, but this balance is different for different animals. Just as different is how animals regulate this balance, which you'll learn about in this video lesson.
4. Homeostasis of Glucose Levels: Hormonal Control and Diabetes
In this lesson, we'll look at how the body uses hormones to maintain homeostasis of blood glucose levels, what happens in people who have diabetes, and how diabetics can manage their disease.
5. Hyperthyroidism: Causes, Signs & Treatments
The thyroid gland weighs only about half an ounce, but it drives the metabolism of every cell in our body. In this lesson we'll look at the effects of hyperthyroidism, in which the thyroid gland and its effects on our metabolism are kicked into overdrive.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Biology: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Developing a Scientific Investigation
- Ethical Considerations in Scientific Investigations
- Collecting Scientific Data
- Processing Experimental Results
- Communicating Scientific Ideas
- Cell Size, Structure & Function
- The Cell Membrane
- Stages of the Cell Cycle
- Cell Growth & Differentiation
- Energy Transformations in Living Things
- Functioning Systems of Living Things
- Understanding Biodiversity
- Ecosystem Relationships & Populations
- Asexual & Sexual Reproduction
- Genomes, Genes & Alleles
- Chromosomes & Chromosome Disorders
- Genotypes & Phenotypes
- Pedigrees & Genetic Inheritence
- Cellular Membranes & Structures
- Nucleic Acids & Proteins
- Gene Structure & Regulation
- Understanding Enzymes
- Photosynthesis Overview
- Cellular Respiration Overview
- Cellular Signals
- Antigens & Immune Response
- Immunity & the Immune System
- Genetics & Populations
- Biodiversity Over Time
- Relatedness Between Species
- Human Evolution
- DNA Manipulation
- Biological Knowledge & Society
- VCE Biology Flashcards