About This Chapter
Addiction Theories & Behaviors - Chapter Summary
In this chapter on addiction theories and behaviors, engaging lessons will cover the history of psychopharmacology and prescription drug dependence. You can also get a better understanding of addictive behaviors. After going through the lessons, you should be poised and able to do the following:
- Recall different addiction theories
- List warning signs of addiction
- Differentiate between substance use, abuse, and dependence
- Recount signs and symptoms of alcohol dependence
- Define co-occurring disorders
- List different types of abused prescription drugs
- Discuss symptoms of withdrawal
- Explain how to assess the effects of addiction
Our instructors are skilled at helping you absorb the concepts presented on addiction theories and behaviors. If you find yourself struggling with a topic, you can submit questions to our instructors using the Help feature. A short quiz is available for each lesson to test your understanding of the concepts covered.
1. Addiction Theories: Overview & Implications
Substances like alcohol and drugs can create dependency, which can lead to addiction. In this lesson we'll talk about different theories that explain addiction and how different treatments can help us overcome them.
2. Addiction and Addictive Behaviors: Types & Warning Signs
Addictive behavior occurs when an addiction becomes out of control and there are negative consequences on the body's health. Understand the main types of addictions and common warning signs of addictive behavior.
3. Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence: Definition and Causes of Substance Disorders
Many factors contribute to the development of substance disorders. Learn the definitions of substance use, abuse, and dependency, and explore the main causes of substance disorders: sociocultural, psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral, and biological.
4. Alcohol Dependence: Signs & Symptoms
Knowing the signs and symptom of alcohol dependence can warn of an impending problem before it becomes severe. Learn what defines dependence and recognize the questionable behaviors and physical symptoms of alcohol dependence.
5. Co-occurring Disorders & Conditions in Substance Abusers
In this lesson, we'll talk about substance use disorder and the mental health disorders that often co-occur. We'll go over some of the most common ones as well as some explanations for why disorders co-occur.
6. Signs & Symptoms of Prescription Drug Dependence
In this lesson, we'll learn about the three main types of abused prescription drugs: opiates, anti-anxiety medications and stimulants. We'll look at the symptoms of drug dependence and the signs of abuse.
7. Withdrawal: Symptoms & Definition
Withdrawal occurs when the body doesn't receive a substance and reacts with physical and mental symptoms. Explore the symptoms, definition, and examples of withdrawal and learn about the reasoning behind withdrawal and the diagnostic criteria.
8. Psychopharmacology: Definition & History
The field of psychopharmacology helps us understand how prescription drugs, legal drugs, and illegal drugs change behavior in predictable ways. This lesson will give you an overview and history the field of psychopharmacology.
9. Assessing the Effects of Addictions in Social Work
Addiction creates problems not only for the addict but for those around them also. This lesson first defines the progression toward addiction, discusses how addiction affects the addict and then describes how a social worker can help the addict.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the ASWB Masters Exam: Study Guide & Practice course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Adult Growth & Development
- Abnormal Human Development
- Studying Human Growth & Development
- Human Behavior Theories for Social Work
- Basics of Mental & Behavioral Disorders
- Overview of Interpersonal Relationships
- Overview of Gender, Sex, & Sexual Orientation
- Family Dynamics & Aging
- Diversity, Justice & Oppression in Social Work
- Indications & Effects of Abuse & Neglect
- Types of Crisis & Change for Social Work
- Social History & Collateral Data for Social Work
- Social Work Problem Identification & Solutions
- Medical Terminology & Assessments for Social Work
- Assessment Methods & Techniques in Social Work
- Evidence-Based Practices for Social Work
- Intervention Identification & Planning in Social Work
- Intervention Processes & Techniques
- Stress, Anger, & Conflict Management Tools for Therapy
- Group Intervention Processes & Techniques
- Documentation & Interviewing in Social Work
- Overview of Client Education & Advocacy for Social Work
- Collaborative Relationships in Social Work
- Ethics, Self-Determination & Regulations in Social Work
- Professional Development, Communication & Leadership
- Professionalism, Relationships & Communication for Social Work
- ASWB Masters Exam Flashcards