About This Chapter
Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
This chapter begins with an overview of the different forms of drug addiction and other addictive behaviors. Instructors will outline several warning signs to look for in addicts. Lessons will also explain the difference between drug misuse and drug abuse. You'll look at different types of drugs and how they are administered by addicts. Finally, you'll explore possible treatment options for drug addicts. By the time you finish the chapter, you should have a good understanding of:
- Addictive behaviors and warning signs
- Drug misuse vs. drug abuse
- Classifications of drugs
- Most common routes of drug administration
- Drug abuse treatment methods
- Habit vs. impulse vs. obsession
|Addiction and Addictive Behaviors: Types and Warning Signs||Identify the signs of addiction and describe the different types of addictions, which include compulsive behaviors like gambling and shopping.|
|From Misuse to Abuse: Distinction and Effects||Explain the difference between drug misuse and drug abuse, showing how drugs affect the brain.|
|Types of Drugs: Classifications and Effects||Name the six classifications of drugs and their effects on the human body.|
|Routes of Drug Administration: Oral, Topical, Inhalation and Injection||Discuss the different routes of drug administration used by addicts, including oral, topical, inhalation and injection.|
|Drug Abuse: Physical Consequences and Treatment||Understand the physical consequences of drug abuse and treatment options for addicts attempting to recover.|
|Addiction: Not the Same as Habit, Impulse or Obsession||Differentiate between addiction, habit, impulse and obsession as it relates to patterns of behavior.|
1. Addiction and Addictive Behaviors: Types & Warning Signs
This lesson will define addiction and addictive behavior in addition to taking a look at what addictive behaviors have in common and what things to look out for in a potential addict.
2. From Misuse to Abuse: Distinction & Effects
This lesson will differentiate drug misuse and abuse. You will also learn how the central nervous system is affected by drugs and what other effects drugs have upon the body.
3. Types of Drugs: Classifications & Effects
This lesson will describe the six major classes of psychoactive drugs, give examples of substances in each class, and explain what they cause a person to experience in the short-term and the long-term.
4. Routes of Drug Administration: Oral, Topical, Inhalation & Injection
The way by which illicit drugs can be administered or taken into the body are numerous. These routes include the oral route, transdermal, inhalation, and intravenous injection.
5. Drug Abuse: Physical Consequences and Treatment
The kidneys, heart, lungs, and skin are all affected by drug use, sometimes severely so. You'll learn how and also the many different ways by which a person can be treated for substance abuse in this lesson.
6. Addiction: Not The Same As Habit, Impulse, or Obsession
This lesson will discuss the definitions of addiction, habit, obsession, compulsion, and impulse, giving several examples of each category and how they may overlap with one another.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Health & Human Development: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Health and Wellness
- Psychosocial Health for Personal Wellness
- Mood Disorders and Personal Health
- Anxiety Disorders and Personal Health
- Psychotic Disorders and Personal Health
- Personality Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Sexual & Gender Identity Disorders and Personal Health
- Nutrition's Role in Health
- Fitness for Personal Health
- Weight Management for Personal Health
- The Aging Population and Personal Health
- Dying & Bereavement in Personal Health
- Cardiovascular, Respiratory, & Endocrine Health
- Cancer and Personal Health
- Immune Disorders & Infectious Conditions
- Diabetes, Arthritis, and Genetic-Related Disorders
- Neurological Disorders, Symptoms & Conditions
- Introduction to Environmental Health and Risk Analysis
- Environmental Health: Issues and Human Concerns
- Intentional Violence and Injury
- Personal Safety Precautions
- Consumer Awareness of Health Care
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Health & Human Development Flashcards