About This Chapter
Addition and Subtraction - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides an overview of basic addition and subtraction, including the steps necessary to perform both functions. Within the lessons, students can find special tips for adding and subtracting numbers with four or more digits to help make these larger operations easier. This chapter prepares your student to do the following:
- Use regrouping to complete four-digit subtraction
- Solve addition and subtraction problems using mental math
- Complete addition and subtraction problems using rounding skills
- Answer multi-step math problems that use addition and subtraction
Our easy-to-follow lessons are designed by professional instructors who understand how to teach young learners. Use the self-assessment quizzes to gauge how well your students understand this material. Our printable transcripts and text lessons make excellent study guides that your student can review offline at any time. The lessons and quizzes can be used as many times as your students need until they have fully mastered these concepts.
1. How to Perform Addition: Steps & Examples
Addition is one of the basic operations of math. You can say that the whole of mathematics is based on addition. Without addition, we wouldn't have higher math. Watch this video to learn how to add.
2. How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples
Subtraction is one of the basic operations in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can view and understand subtraction so that you can easily perform it.
3. How to Add Two Numbers with Four or More Digits
So, you already know how to add two-digit numbers and now you're ready to move on to something harder? In this lesson, you will learn how to add two numbers that have four or more digits!
4. 4 Digit Subtraction with Regrouping
This lesson will cover 4 digit subtraction. We'll talk about the step by step process for solving these types of problems, including how you can use regrouping to help.
5. Mental Math: Addition and Subtraction
After watching this video lesson, you will get better at adding and subtracting numbers in your head without a calculator. Learn how breaking apart your addition and subtraction problems makes them easier and quicker to solve in your head.
6. Estimating a Difference by Rounding
After studying this lesson, you will understand rounding basics. You'll also learn how to quickly solve subtraction problems by using your rounding skills.
7. Solving Multi-Step Problems with Addition & Subtraction
In a multi-step addition or subtraction problem, you need to perform more than one mathematical operation. In this lesson, learn how to solve multi-step problems and practice your new skills with some practice problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 11+ Math: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Numbers
- Place Value and Rounding
- Multiplication and Division
- Factors and Prime Numbers
- Mathematical Properties and Mixed Operations
- Using Fractions
- Working with Decimals & Percents
- Ratios and Proportion
- Understanding Algebraic Expressions
- Basics of Measurement
- Geometry and the Properties of Shapes
- Basics of Statistics
- ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 11+ Math Flashcards