About This Chapter
Adler & Jung & Personality Theory - Chapter Summary
This chapter outlines the contributions of Adler and Jung on the study of personality theory. Our lessons cover the psychodynamic approach in psychology, Alfred Adler's and Carl Jung's theories and much more. Take your time as you review these lessons, and visit them as many times as you need. Before taking an important exam, try our short quizzes and chapter exam to test your readiness. You can reach out to an instructor if you need any assistance. This chapter is designed to help you:
- Explain Alfred Adler's views on personality development
- Detail Adler's theories on birth order and the inferiority complex
- Outline Carl Jung's theories on psyche, personality and dreams
- Describe the characteristics of introverted and extraverted personalities
- Identify how a personality career assessment can help people choose a career
1. Psychodynamic Approach in Psychology: Definition & Explanation
Do dreams reveal our hidden subconscious thoughts and motivations? Could something traumatic in your childhood be the reason behind bad habits, fears or phobias? The psychodynamic approach in psychology may be the answer to those questions and more.
2. Alfred Adler's Theories: Overview & Summary
Alfred Adler's psychoanalytic theory of individual psychology has had a large impact. This lesson will provide a brief overview, explain key concepts, and explore the therapeutic technique used by Adler.
3. Alfred Adler on Personality Development
Psychologists have different opinions about what shapes someone's personality. In this lesson, we'll explore the theories of Alfred Adler, including the effects of inferiority complex, parenting styles, and birth order on personality.
4. Birth Order and the Inferiority Complex According to Adler
Is it bad to feel inferior? What is an inferiority complex? What importance does birth order have? Learn more about how these concepts from Adlerian theory can impact a person.
5. Carl Jung's Theories: Personality, Psyche & Dreams
In this lesson, we will be discussing Carl Jung's theories. Specifically, we will look at his theories on personality, dream analysis and the human psyche. At the end, you can test your knowledge with a short quiz.
6. Extraversion in Personality: Definition & Overview
Social butterflies, a friend to all, party animal, chatter-boxes. Call them what you will, those with extraverted personalities seek out and enjoy social stimulation. Learn more about what makes an extravert in this lesson.
7. Introverted Personality: Definition & Characteristics
Do you prefer to be alone and find being around a large group of people tiring? If so, you may have an introverted personality. Learn more about the introverted personality from examples and then test your knowledge with a quiz.
8. How Can a Personality Career Assessment Help You Choose A Career?
What does your personality have to do with your career? And how can a 19th-century psychiatrist help you pick out your dream occupation? Watch this lesson to find out more about Carl Jung's career types and personality career assessments.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Psychology 310: Psychology of Personality course
- Introduction to Personality Psychology
- Personality Research & Assessment
- Psychoanalytic Theories of Personality
- Neo-Analytic & Ego Approaches to Identity
- Biological Aspects of Personality
- Psychodynamic Theories & Theorists
- Behavioral & Learning Aspects of Personality
- Cognitive & Existential Theories of Personality
- Humanistic Theories & Theorists
- Trait Aspects of Personality
- Required Assignments for Psychology of Personality