About This Chapter
Adolescence Growth and Development -- Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter detail the physical, cognitive and behavioral changes that take place during adolescence. Our instructors go over the timing of the physical maturation process, including growth spurts and sexual development. Gender differences and gender identity are also discussed, along with sexual attitudes and behaviors.
Other lessons look at the development of adolescents' behavior, including the propensity for risk taking. You'll explore social patterns and the role of the family in development. After watching these lessons, you should be prepared for:
- Discussing rites of passage in adolescent physical development
- Explaining the importance of exercise and nutrition in adolescent development
- Defining the secular trend in puberty, including the impact of genetic and environmental factors
- Identifying the impacts of sexual abuse and sexual harassment
- Recognizing self-concepts and identity status
- Exploring the importance of conformity in adolescent development
These lessons were devised by experts in the field and, while brief, review all you need to know. Each is accompanied by a written transcript highlighting key words and terms. The quizzes at the end of each lesson let you assess your learning, and video tags make it easy to return to passages that require additional study.
1. Physical Growth in Adolescence
Adolescents go through many physical changes. Watch this lesson to find out some of the physical developments that happen during adolescence, including those related to puberty, growth spurts and gender differences in growth.
2. Health and Fitness in Adolescence
Adolescence is a time of great physical change. However, many adolescents struggle with weight. Watch this lesson to learn more about those weight issues, including how they can fight obesity and issues with eating disorders.
3. The Secular Trend in Growth and Puberty Development
Teenagers go through dramatic physical changes as a part of puberty. But something odd is happening: puberty is starting earlier each generation. In this lesson, we'll look at the secular trend of puberty and its possible causes.
4. Gender Differences in Adolescent Development
Adolescence is a time of growth and change. Some of these changes are different in boys and girls, though. In this lesson, we'll examine gender differences in emotional and brain development during adolescence.
5. Gender Identity in Adolescent Development
During adolescence, teens become more and more aware of their sexuality and what it means to be part of their gender. In this lesson, we'll explore how gender identity and sexual orientation develop in adolescence.
6. Sexuality in Adolescence: Attitudes, Behaviors, & Values
Puberty brings with it many changes, including new sexual feelings. Watch this lesson to find out more about sexual development in adolescence, including the differences in how early adolescents and later adolescents approach sexuality.
7. Sexual Development and Maturation of the Adolescent
In this lesson, explore the changes that take place during puberty. You will meet Dick and Jane as they experience these changes, and you will be able to test your knowledge with a quiz at the end.
8. Issues Related to Sexual Behaviors in Adolescence
Adolescence is a time of great changes in a person's life, including many choices regarding sexual activity. Watch this lesson to find out about some of the issues that can come with being sexually active in adolescence.
9. Changes in Cognitive Development During Adolescence
Adolescence is a period of great change. Changes in the way teenagers think can cause them to do things like argue with adults. Watch this lesson for more information on the cognitive changes that occur in adolescence.
10. Decision Making and Risk Taking Behaviors in Adolescence
Teenagers often behave in reckless ways. But why? In this lesson, we'll look at how brain development leads to risky behaviors in adolescence, including the brain systems involved and the evolutionary reason for risk-taking in teenagers.
11. Social Development of Adolescents: Identity
Adolescents often go through a process of discovering what they believe and who they are. In this lesson, we will examine how a teenager develops his or her self concept and identity. We will also take a look at common factors that influence a teen's identity.
12. Low Self-Esteem & Puberty
The teen years can be challenging for adolescents. This lesson will discuss the connection between low self-esteem and puberty by reviewing potential physical and emotional factors that can lead to negative self-image.
13. Family Values and Relationships in Adolescence
During adolescence, teens begin to figure out who they are and what their beliefs are. In this lesson, we'll look at how family values and relationships with family members can influence adolescents' individual values and development.
14. Peers, Schools, and Adolescent Development
Adolescence is a time of change for most people. In this lesson, we'll look at the changes that occur in adolescence, including why peer groups become so important to teenagers and how school affects development.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Health Education (073): Practice and Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adult Growth & Development
- Pregnancy, Prenatal Care & Childbirth
- Introduction to Health & Wellness
- Introduction to Disease & Illness
- Mental Distress, Depression & Suicide
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Health Risk Education
- Injury Prevention Strategies
- Environmental Health & Protection
- Substance Use & Abuse
- Human Sexuality & Health
- Communication Processes & Skills
- Family & Social Systems
- Discrimination, Aggression & Conflict
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Resources for Health Information
- Health Care Systems
- Governmental Health Regulations
- Understanding Health Education Programs
- Education Strategies & Methods
- Assessments in Health Education Programs
- NYSTCE Health Education Flashcards