About This Chapter
Adolescent Growth and Development - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our instructors explain the different dimensions of growth and development in adolescence and how each contributes to the maturing teenager. You will learn about physical growth, sexual development and maturation in adolescence. You will be introduced to health and fitness in adolescence, the secular trend in growth and puberty development, gender differences and gender identity in adolescents. This chapter will discuss changes in cognitive development, risk-taking behavior and decision making, social development and family values and relationships.
You'll learn about the role of peers and school in adolescent development, and discover the increasingly important role these play in an adolescent's identity formation. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain physical growth during adolescence, including growth spurts and rites of passage
- Recognize the roles of health and nutrition, sports and exercise in adolescence
- Explain attitudes, behaviors and values in adolescent sexuality
- Discuss the impact of sexual abuse and sexual harassment on adolescent development
- Describe issues related to sexual behaviors in adolescence
- Analyze the differences between cognitive development in adolescents and adults
- Explore social development and identity in adolescents
- Detail shared and non-shared family values, interdependence and sibling relationships
- Determine how adolescent development is shaped by school and peer relationships
This course utilizes brief, engaging video lessons that make learning simple. In addition to the lessons taught by experts in their fields, there are also self-assessment quizzes and lesson transcripts to reinforce your learning. Video tags make it easy to find exactly the portion of a video lesson you wish to review.
1. Physical Growth in Adolescence
Adolescents go through many physical changes. Watch this lesson to find out some of the physical developments that happen during adolescence, including those related to puberty, growth spurts and gender differences in growth.
2. Sexual Development and Maturation of the Adolescent
In this lesson, explore the changes that take place during puberty. You will meet Dick and Jane as they experience these changes, and you will be able to test your knowledge with a quiz at the end.
3. Health and Fitness in Adolescence
Adolescence is a time of great physical change. However, many adolescents struggle with weight. Watch this lesson to learn more about those weight issues, including how they can fight obesity and issues with eating disorders.
4. The Secular Trend in Growth and Puberty Development
Teenagers go through dramatic physical changes as a part of puberty. But something odd is happening: puberty is starting earlier each generation. In this lesson, we'll look at the secular trend of puberty and its possible causes.
5. Gender Differences in Adolescent Development
Adolescence is a time of growth and change. Some of these changes are different in boys and girls, though. In this lesson, we'll examine gender differences in emotional and brain development during adolescence.
6. Gender Identity in Adolescent Development
During adolescence, teens become more and more aware of their sexuality and what it means to be part of their gender. In this lesson, we'll explore how gender identity and sexual orientation develop in adolescence.
7. Sexuality in Adolescence: Attitudes, Behaviors, & Values
Puberty brings with it many changes, including new sexual feelings. Watch this lesson to find out more about sexual development in adolescence, including the differences in how early adolescents and later adolescents approach sexuality.
8. Influences of Sexual Harassment and Abuse on Adolescent Development
Amid the changes of adolescence, some teens struggle with sexual harassment. Watch this lesson to find out more about the types of sexual harassment, including sexual abuse and sexual bullying, and the effects they have on adolescents.
9. Issues Related to Sexual Behaviors in Adolescence
Adolescence is a time of great changes in a person's life, including many choices regarding sexual activity. Watch this lesson to find out about some of the issues that can come with being sexually active in adolescence.
10. Cognitive Development in Children and Adolescents
If you were to observe children growing into their teenage years, you would notice their thinking and understanding develops over time. In this lesson, you will learn about the specific stages of mental growth in children and adolescents as outlined by Jean Piaget.
11. Decision Making and Risk Taking Behaviors in Adolescence
Teenagers often behave in reckless ways. But why? In this lesson, we'll look at how brain development leads to risky behaviors in adolescence, including the brain systems involved and the evolutionary reason for risk-taking in teenagers.
12. Social Development of Adolescents: Identity
Adolescents often go through a process of discovering what they believe and who they are. In this lesson, we will examine how a teenager develops his or her self concept and identity. We will also take a look at common factors that influence a teen's identity.
13. Family Values and Relationships in Adolescence
During adolescence, teens begin to figure out who they are and what their beliefs are. In this lesson, we'll look at how family values and relationships with family members can influence adolescents' individual values and development.
14. Peers, Schools, and Adolescent Development
Adolescence is a time of change for most people. In this lesson, we'll look at the changes that occur in adolescence, including why peer groups become so important to teenagers and how school affects development.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Health Education (211): Test Practice and Study Guide course
- Overview of the Human Body
- Human Development
- Childhood Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Health & Nutrition
- Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity in the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Principles of Nutritional Health
- Substance Use, Abuse and Dependence
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Safety and Injury Prevention Strategies
- Physical Fitness Benefits
- Human Sexuality
- Family and Social Systems
- Dealing with Negative Social Behavior
- Public Health Emphasis
- Health Risk Factors
- Health Information Resources
- Media & Advertising in Health Information
- Health Care Delivery Systems
- Medical Emergency Care
- Health Education Programs
- Planning & Implementing Health Education Programs
- Evaluating Health Education Programs
- ILTS Health Education Flashcards