About This Chapter
Adrenal Gland Disorder Terminology - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Made up of two distinct parts, the adrenal gland performs important functions in our bodies. This chapter teaches important terms related to the adrenal gland and its two parts, the adrenal cortex and the adrenal medulla, as well as disorders that may affect the gland. Quizzes are provided for you to assess your progress, and instructors are available to answer questions about the material. Lessons include subjects such as:
• The function of the adrenal gland
• The adrenal cortex and adrenal medulla
• Important terminology related to the adrenal cortex
• Disorders of the adrenal gland
|Adrenal Glands: Function, Cortex & Medulla||Define the parts of adrenal gland as well as their function|
|Adrenal Glands: Epinephrine, Norepinephrine & Stress Adaptation||Find out the vocabulary associated with stress adaptation|
|Adrenal Cortex: Glucocorticoids & Androgens||Examine the function of steroids, including glucocorticoids and androgens|
|Adrenal Cortex: Aldosterone & Body Fluid Balance||Discover the terms associated with mineralocorticoids such as aldosterone and how aldosterone regulates body fluid balance|
|Adrenal Gland Disorders & Treatments: Addison's Disease||Learn about Addison's disease and its treatments|
|Adrenal Gland Disorders||Explore various adrenal gland disorders, including Cushing's and Conn's syndromes|
1. Adrenal Glands: Function, Cortex & Medulla
The adrenal glands sit on top of your kidneys and are comprised of an inner medulla region that is enclosed by the outer adrenal cortex. Both portions of the adrenal gland secrete hormones that regulate body functions and help maintain internal balance.
2. Adrenal Glands: Epinephrine, Norepinephrine & Stress Adaptation
The adrenal medulla is the central portion of the adrenal gland. In this lesson, you will learn about the two hormones secreted by the adrenal medulla - epinephrine and norepinephrine - and how they help you deal with short-term stressors.
3. Adrenal Cortex: Glucocorticoids and Androgens
The adrenal cortex secretes steroid hormones. In this lesson, you will learn about two of these steroid hormones: glucocorticoids, which help you deal with long-term stress, and androgens, which influence male sexual characteristics.
4. Adrenal Cortex: Aldosterone and Body Fluid Balance
Mineralocorticoids are a type of steroid hormone secreted by the adrenal cortex. In this lesson, you will learn about the main mineralocorticoid, aldosterone, and how it regulates your body's salt and water balance.
5. Adrenal Gland Disorders & Treatments: Addison's Disease and Prednisone
The adrenal glands secrete hormones that help maintain balance in your body. But, if these hormones are over- or under-secreted, disease can develop. In this lesson, you will learn about disorders of the adrenal glands, including Addison's disease and Cushing's syndrome, as well as their treatments.
6. Adrenal Gland Disorders
What controls your metabolism, fight or flight response, and can suffer from serious diseases? The adrenal glands! This lesson covers their basics as they pertain to important adrenal gland disorders.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Medical Terminology: Help & Review course
- Fundamentals of Medical Terminology
- Basic Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terminology for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Basics & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Basics for Genetics, Cells & Structures
- Medical Terms for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Oncology Basics & Terms
- Medical Terminology for the Skeletal System
- Vocabulary for the Muscular System & Its Functions
- Vocabulary for the Cardiovascular System
- Terminology for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for Diagnosis & Treatment of Respiratory Diseases
- Medical Vocabulary for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathologies
- GI Tract Diagnosis & Treatment Terminology
- Medical Terms for the Urinary System
- Terminology of the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions
- Terminology for Diagnostics & Treatments of the Nervous System
- Medical Terms Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terminology Related to the Ears
- Terminology for the Integumentary System
- Terminology for The Endocrine System & Hormones
- Endocrine Gland Disorder Vocabulary
- Pancreatic Disorder Vocabulary
- Male Reproductive System & STDs: Medical Terminology
- Female Reproductive System: Medical Terminology
- Medical Terminology for Major Pathogens
- Medical Terminology Used for Diagnosis & Pharmacology