About This Chapter
Adult Growth and Development - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons and quizzes will provide an understanding of developmental stages and concerns in early, middle and later adulthood. Our instructors will demonstrate how sexual functioning changes with age as well as how cognitive development progresses. Health and fitness are also included in these lessons. By the close of the chapter, you should be prepared to:
- Discuss reproduction in early adulthood
- Explain characteristics of post-formal thought and the dialectical process
- Identify influences on cognitive development in early adulthood
- Name some factors that may contribute to a longer life
- List common health concerns of people in middle adulthood
- Describe mental health issues that may appear in late adulthood
Our professional instructors make learning enjoyable through these brief video and text lessons. The quizzes at the end of each one allow you to check what you've learned, and lesson transcripts make it possible for you to read along. If you still have questions, you can contact the instructor for additional help.
1. Physical Development and Health in Early Adulthood
Despite the fact that most people are fully grown by early adulthood, it is still a time of physical development. In this lesson, we'll explore the physical and health issues that people in early adulthood experience.
2. Reproduction in Early Adulthood
In their twenties and thirties, many people have children. However, it doesn't always go smoothly. In this lesson, we will explore sex and reproduction in early adulthood, including changes in sex drives and reproductive issues, like infertility.
3. Postformal Thought in Cognitive Development
How do people continue to develop in adulthood? Watch this lesson to discover how adults develop cognitively, including how they become postformal thinkers, and what relativistic thinking and dialectical reasoning involve.
4. Life Influences on Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood
Though adults don't physically grow as they age, they do still grow mentally. In this lesson, we'll look closer at cognitive development in adulthood, including how it is influenced by college and work experiences.
5. Physical Development in Middle Adulthood
Middle age comes with many new physical challenges, from wrinkles to hearing loss to weight gain. This lesson examines many of the signs of aging that are common in middle adulthood and how people can fight middle age weight gain.
6. Health and Fitness in Middle Adulthood
As people age, new health issues can arise. Watch this lesson to find out more about the two most common causes of death in middle age - cancer and cardiovascular disease - and how fitness and personality can combat them.
7. Sexual Functioning in Middle Adulthood
Sexuality is an important part of most adults' lives. But what happens when things change? In this lesson, we'll take a look at the changes regarding sex that often occur in middle age, including sexual dysfunction and changes in the frequency of sex.
8. Cognitive Development in Adults
As people age, they discover that their thought processes change. Though some cognitive abilities decrease in middle age, some increase. In this lesson, we'll look at how executive functioning and wisdom increase in middle age.
9. Life Expectancy and Life Span: Definition & Factors
Everyone wants to live forever, but the truth is that we all have only a limited time to be alive. In this lesson, we'll look at life expectancy and life span, as well as factors that can influence how long a person lives.
10. Health, Fitness, and Sexuality in Late Adulthood
As people age, their bodies change. But what does that mean in terms of health, fitness, and sexuality? Watch this lesson for information on how diet and exercise impact health and how sexuality changes in late life.
11. Major Mental Health Concerns in Late Adulthood
Everyone forgets things sometimes, but as people age, they often have trouble with memory and other cognitive processes. Watch this lesson to find out more about two types of thinking problems, frontotemporal and multi-infarct dementia.
12. Cognitive Development in Late Adulthood
Many people are aware of some of the memory problems older adults have, but did you know that they become better at some types of thinking? In this lesson, we'll examine the positive and negative cognitive changes in late life.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Health Education (073): Practice and Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Introduction to Health & Wellness
- Introduction to Disease & Illness
- Mental Distress, Depression & Suicide
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Health Risk Education
- Injury Prevention Strategies
- Substance Use & Abuse
- Human Sexuality & Health
- Communication Processes & Skills
- Family & Social Systems
- Discrimination, Aggression & Conflict
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Resources for Health Information
- Health Care Systems
- Overview of Health Education Programs
- NYSTCE Health Education Flashcards