About This Chapter
Adult Growth and Development - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons and quizzes will provide an understanding of developmental stages and concerns in early, middle and later adulthood. Our instructors will demonstrate how sexual functioning changes with age as well as how cognitive development progresses. Health and fitness are also included in these lessons. By the close of the chapter, you should be prepared to:
- Discuss reproduction in early adulthood
- Explain characteristics of post-formal thought and the dialectical process
- Identify influences on cognitive development in early adulthood
- Name some factors that may contribute to a longer life
- List common health concerns of people in middle adulthood
- Describe mental health issues that may appear in late adulthood
Our professional instructors make learning enjoyable through these brief video and text lessons. The quizzes at the end of each one allow you to check what you've learned, and lesson transcripts make it possible for you to read along. If you still have questions, you can contact the instructor for additional help.
1. Physical Development and Health in Early Adulthood
Early adulthood is when people are physically healthiest in life and is a great time to establish healthy habits to improve well-being. Explore physical development in early adulthood, find out why people need to take care of their health at this stage, and learn how to deal with stress.
2. Reproduction in Early Adulthood
Early adulthood is the life stage in which humans have the best opportunity to have children due to biological reasons. Explore sex and reproduction in early adulthood, including changes in sex drives and reproductive issues, such as infertility.
3. Postformal Thought in Cognitive Development
Postformal thought in cognitive development involves understanding the existence of contradictions in the world. Explore the concept of postformal thought, learn how to explain relativistic thinking and dialectical reasoning, and identify how the cognitive skills that develop during early adulthood differ.
4. Life Influences on Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood
Although adults do not physically grow as they age, they do mentally grow thanks to different influences in life. Learn about cognitive development in early adulthood and explore how life influences such as college and work can affect cognitive development at this stage.
5. Physical Development in Middle Adulthood
Even though middle-aged people are fully grown, they still continue to undergo the physical developmental changes that come with age. Discover some common signs of aging in middle adulthood and learn how middle-aged adults can combat weight gain.
6. Health and Fitness in Middle Adulthood
As people age and reach middle adulthood, new health problems can emerge. Learn about midlife and discover the two most common causes of death in midlife--cancer and cardiovascular disease--and how fitness and personality can help to prevent them.
7. Sexual Functioning in Middle Adulthood
Sexuality is an important part of most adults' lives, but as people age, they can experience changes in their sexuality. Learn about sexual functioning and the changes regarding sex that often occur in middle adulthood, including sexual dysfunction and changes in the frequency of sex.
8. Cognitive Development in Adults
As people age, their thought processes change, and though some cognitive abilities decrease in middle age, some increase. Learn about cognitive development in middle-aged adults and explore how executive functioning and wisdom increase in this stage.
9. Life Expectancy and Life Span: Definition & Factors
Life expectancy is the average length of time that an individual in society will live, whereas life span is the actual length of time that a specific individual lives. Learn about the definitions and factors of life expectancy and life span.
10. Health, Fitness, and Sexuality in Late Adulthood
When moving into late adulthood, people often experience health issues due to lack of fitness and healthy diet as well as a decrease in sexuality. Learn more about these problems in late adulthood, including tips and benefits of improving diet, exercise, and sexual health.
11. Major Mental Health Concerns in Late Adulthood
Adults over the age of 65 can face major mental health concerns, particularly with dementia. Learn about the types of issues people face in late adulthood, including dementia, frontotemporal dementia, and multi-infarct dementia.
12. Cognitive Development in Late Adulthood
As people age, their cognitive abilities change. Learn about cognitive development in late adulthood, including information processing, wisdom, memory, and attention. Explore implicit and procedural memory, and review two approaches to define wisdom.
13. What is Gerontology? - Definition & History
Gerontology is the study of how people age and develop through middle age and later life. Explore the definition and history of gerontology and learn about caretaking, research, policy, and programs around gerontology.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Health Education (073): Practice and Study Guide course
- NYSTCE Information Resources
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Pregnancy, Prenatal Care & Childbirth
- Introduction to Health & Wellness
- Introduction to Disease & Illness
- Mental Distress, Depression & Suicide
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Health Risk Education
- Injury Prevention Strategies
- Environmental Health & Protection
- Substance Use & Abuse
- Human Sexuality & Health
- Communication Processes & Skills
- Family & Social Systems
- Discrimination, Aggression & Conflict
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Resources for Health Information
- Health Care Systems
- Governmental Health Regulations
- Understanding Health Education Programs
- Education Strategies & Methods
- Assessments in Health Education Programs
- NYSTCE Health Education Flashcards