About This Chapter
Advertising, Sales & Promotion in Marketing - Chapter Summary
Review the importance of advertising, sales and promotion in marketing with this chapter. The lessons in this chapter will help you familiarize yourself with definitions and examples for these facets of marketing. You'll be able to go over strategies used in marketing and the effects of these actions. Complete this chapter if you're interested in looking over information about:
- Consumer buying behavior
- Institutional and product advertising
- Marketing strategy
- Differences between public relations and advertising
- Consumer and trade sales promotion
We've designed these video lessons to be engaging and concise to make the most of your study time. The lessons include video timelines that allow you to easily find and study the subjects you want to. An interactive quiz is associated with each lesson, ensuring you're able to test your comprehension of each subject you review.
1. What is Advertising? - Definition & Examples
The greatest product or service in the world won't make money unless consumers know it exists. In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of advertising, common advertising media, and read some examples of effective advertising.
2. Effects of Advertising on Consumer Buying Behavior
How does advertising influence the process of consumer buying behavior? What impact does advertising have on a company's market share, and how does this shape the marketing budget? This lesson describes why advertising is so important - particularly for newer companies.
3. Types of Advertising: Institutional and Product Advertising
In this lesson, you'll learn about the different types of advertising and how the correct strategy a firm should take is based on their overall promotional objectives. Why do some companies directly advertise their products while others seem more concerned with their image?
4. Advertising Media Choices and Marketing Strategy
There are many different types of advertising media that marketing managers can choose from in order to create a successful marketing strategy. This lesson covers some of those options, including printed media, television and outdoor media.
5. How Public Relations Is Different from Advertising
Public relations helps companies build more personal relationships with their customers using advertising messages as their foundation. Watch this video to see how public relations creates positive images for companies and products.
6. Sales Promotion in the Promotional Marketing Mix
Marketers use a wide range of sales promotion tools to incentivize consumers and intermediaries to buy. Watch this video to learn more about these tools and how they work.
7. Consumer Sales Promotion: Definition and Purpose
Manufacturers offer many kinds of incentives to encourage consumers to buy their products once they reach a retailer. Watch this video to learn more about how consumer sales promotion entices customers to buy.
8. Trade Sales Promotion and the Promotional Marketing Mix
Manufacturers offer all kinds of incentives to retailers to help sell their products. Watch this video to learn more about trade promotion and its goals, including persuading retailers, encouraging promotion, and maintaining stock.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Marketing 6-12 (275): Practice & Study Guide course
- Introduction to Business Management
- Organization & Management in Business
- Business Law & Regulation
- Business & Governmental Regulation
- Entrepreneurship & Types of Businesses
- Marketing & Financial Plans in Business
- Accounting Basics for Business
- Risk Management & Credit-Based Relationships
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Marketing Research
- Demographics in Marketing Research
- Web & Media Marketing
- Product Planning & Promotion
- Product Development & Distribution
- Selling & Pricing Strategies
- Marketing & the Global Economy
- Sustainable & International Marketing
- Introduction to International Trade
- Public Relations for Business
- Business Leadership & Decision-Making
- Marketing Data Analysis
- Business Math Applications
- Business Technology & Information Systems
- Technology & Tools for Marketing
- Marketing & E-Commerce
- Marketing Education
- Laying the Foundation for a Marketing Career
- Establishing Professionalism at Work
- Marketing Instruction & Assessment
- TExES Marketing 6-12 Flashcards