About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering advertising and sales promotion material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn advertising and sales promotion. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding advertising and promotion
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning sales and marketing (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about advertising and sales promotion
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra sales and marketing learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Advertising and Sales Promotion chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Advertising and Sales Promotion chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any advertising and sales promotion question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an advertising and sales promotion unit of a standard sales and marketing course. Topics covered include:
- Types of advertising and its effects on consumer buying behaviors
- Public relations versus advertising
- Advertising media choices
- Reasons for using public relations
- Promotional marketing mix
- Sales promotions
1. What is Advertising? - Definition & Examples
The greatest product or service in the world won't make money unless consumers know it exists. In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of advertising, common advertising media, and read some examples of effective advertising.
2. Effects of Advertising on Consumer Buying Behavior
How does advertising influence the process of consumer buying behavior? What impact does advertising have on a company's market share, and how does this shape the marketing budget? This lesson describes why advertising is so important - particularly for newer companies.
3. Types of Advertising: Institutional and Product Advertising
In this lesson, you'll learn about the different types of advertising and how the correct strategy a firm should take is based on their overall promotional objectives. Why do some companies directly advertise their products while others seem more concerned with their image?
4. Advertising Media Choices and Marketing Strategy
There are many different types of advertising media that marketing managers can choose from in order to create a successful marketing strategy. This lesson covers some of those options, including printed media, television and outdoor media.
5. How Public Relations Is Different from Advertising
Public relations helps companies build more personal relationships with their customers using advertising messages as their foundation. Watch this video to see how public relations creates positive images for companies and products.
6. Why Companies Use Public Relations
This lesson covers the reasons why companies use public relations as part of their promotional mix. Discover different public relations tools that you have likely seen everyday.
7. Sales Promotion in the Promotional Marketing Mix
Marketers use a wide range of sales promotion tools to incentivize consumers and intermediaries to buy. Watch this video to learn more about these tools and how they work.
8. Consumer Sales Promotion: Definition and Purpose
Manufacturers offer many kinds of incentives to encourage consumers to buy their products once they reach a retailer. Watch this video to learn more about how consumer sales promotion entices customers to buy.
9. Trade Sales Promotion and the Promotional Marketing Mix
Manufacturers offer all kinds of incentives to retailers to help sell their products. Watch this video to learn more about trade promotion and its goals, including persuading retailers, encouraging promotion, and maintaining stock.
10. Effects of Advertising on Children
Are children really all that susceptible to advertisements? This lesson gives you examples of its possible negative effects, like parent-child conflicts, and examines whether advertising may have any positive effects on children and adolescents.
11. What are Ethical Standards for Advertising?
With the explosion of media and new ways to reach consumers, it's crucial for advertisers to be honest and ethical. In this lesson, we'll discuss ethical standards for advertising and how these standards affect the way advertisers reach the public.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Sales and Marketing: Help & Review course
- Foundations of Sales & Marketing
- Ethical Sales & Marketing
- Sales & the Law
- Sustainable & International Marketing
- Strategic Marketing Planning
- The Market Research Process
- Marketing Analytics & Data
- Consumer & Business Marketing
- Segmentation and Product Marketing
- New Product Development & Marketing
- Product Planning & Promotion
- Distribution & Logistics
- Direct & Online Marketing
- Product Branding & Strategies
- Selling & Pricing Strategies
- Social Media Marketing Overview