About This Chapter
Advocating for OT Client and Community Needs - Chapter Summary
From health promotion to training programs, there are many ways that individuals can be made aware of topics relating to health and wellness, injury and disease prevention, lifestyle choices and more. Video and text lessons provide overviews of practices and strategies designed to address various approaches to prevention in OT.
You will review lessons that focus on such issues as personal wellness, housing options for older adults, employee training programs and health promotion. After you complete this chapter, you should be able to:
- List the three levels of prevention in occupational therapy
- Define health and wellness and the interaction between these two concepts
- Describe early intervention strategies for students with disabilities
- Discuss the effects of lifestyle choices, behaviors and decisions impacting personal wellness
- Note housing options available to older adults
- Identify and explain different types of employee training programs
These short and accessible lessons are designed to provide a quick and fun way you can learn more about these topics. Expert instructors guide you easily through each lesson. and you can track your progress using your Dashboard. Self-assessment quizzes are great tools you can use to measure the depth of your knowledge about this material as you move through the chapter.
1. Prevention in Occupational Therapy: Stages & Examples
As occupational therapists, one of our most important goals is prevention of injury and further problems for our clients. This lesson discusses the different stages of prevention, offering clear examples within each stage.
2. Early Intervention for Students with Disabilities
Like many aspects of life, it's important to identify students' disabilities early in order to create effective intervention programs. This lesson discusses the importance of early disability intervention and gives examples of actions to be taken.
3. Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
It's important to be happy and healthy! This lesson will contrast between health and wellness as well as what the different dimension of wellness are and how they interact.
4. What Is the Health Promotion Model? - Definition & Theory
In this lesson, you will learn about the health promotion model and its influences on health behaviors. You will also gain an understanding of the theory behind the health promotion model and how that theory affects health promotion outcomes.
5. Lifestyle Choices and Personal Wellness: Decisions, Behavior & Prevention
What are lifestyle choices? What are acute and chronic problems? Which U.S. agencies are important for disease prevention? You'll find out about this and more in this lesson!
6. Housing Options for Older Adults
In this lesson, we will discuss where a person can choose to live as their needs change in their older years. We will look at the options available and the factors that influence a person's decision.
7. Types of Employee Training Programs
There are several types of employee training programs. Employees may receive basic literacy training, interpersonal skills training, technical training, problem-solving training and diversity or sensitivity training. Each type of training targets a different facet of an organization's overall culture and performance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA) Exam: Study.com's Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Prenatal & Infant Development
- Childhood & Adolescent Development
- Types of Development in Adults
- Understanding Atypical Development
- General Medical Conditions & Vocabulary
- Neurological Conditions
- Musculoskeletal Conditions
- Evaluations in Occupational Therapy
- Frames of Reference & Models in Occupational Therapy
- Developing OT Treatment Plans
- Implementation of OT Treatment Plans
- Groups in Occupational Therapy
- Feeding & Eating Skills for Occupational Therapy
- Orthotic & Prosthetic Devices
- Using Assistive Technology
- Environmental Accessibility
- Professional Development in Occupational Therapy
- Laws & Regulations in Occupational Therapy
- Ethics & Safety in Occupational Therapy